Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nepenthes Ventricosa black pitchers

Posted by brianswimmy California (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 19:28

Hi, I just bought a nepenthes ventricosa. I give it good humidity and a put it under a 40 watt flourscent bulb. I noticed one pitcher turned black, but i thought it was normal. Now another pitcher is starting to turn black at the rim. I hope that the newly opened pitcher doesnt turn black. Can anyone help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepenthes Ventricosa black pitchers

How do you "give it good humidity" in CA?

o

well i put it in this big terrarium and spray mist it, it feels humid too

o

You're going to cause fungus and mold problems misting it in a terrarium. If you have a tight fitting lid it's already at 90-100% which is actually too much without some air movement.

o

I am in SF and purchased 2 of these healthy plants from Home Depot in Colma for $7.95 each. I hang mine outdoors under an awning where it gets a lot of fresh air, light, and some shade. On a sunny day, I would be sure to spray the plant all around. On cloudy days, I would leave the plant alone. It is doing very well since my purchase at the end of August. There are lots of flies, spiders, fruit flies that likes to fly around them and get caught in those large pitchers. The largest pitchers on the plant is 4 1/4 - 5" tall. I also having a lot of new pitchers developing.

o

You live in the SF area? Have you tried taking a trip to Sebastopol, California to visit Peter D'Amatos's carnivorous plant nursery California Carnivores? Peter D'Amato is the author of the well know book Savage Garden and is the owner of the CP nursery.

From where you live it shouldn't a trip well worth it if I lived in SF. You can take the 101 Redwood Highway heading north all the way to Cotati, making a left there to 116 Gravenstein, heading west to Sebastopol on. Just keeping an eye for "Old Gravenstein" on your right.

You'll have fun there and maybe find Mr D'Amato working their, he will give you good advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here