Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutant_hybrid

deformed leaves

mutant_hybrid
16 years ago

Hello all,

I have a couple of plants in my collection that are growing damaged and deformed leaves for no apparent reason. My Venus Flytrap grows new leaves that occasionally dry out, blacken, and die. Most of the time, the leaves grow out normally, however; grow out smaller then before. The Drosera capensis has begun to grow twisted leaves that eventually untwist and open normally. In my experience, that is usually due to fertilizer problems or mineral salts in soil. The problem is that none of the other sundews have shown any indication of a problem and get the same soil and water. No pests have been seen at all, I know what aphids, scale, and mealybugs look like.

Soil was bought at a carnivorous plant site and is peat/perlite. Water is store bought steam distilled in jugs or from store situated dispensing machines that supposedly sell highly distilled, multiply filtered and deionized water.

No fertilizers have been used and hardly any treatments have been used for fungus or pests, even then, sparingly, very sparingly. Salt, tap water, and other non-beneficial chemicals have been strictly prohibited from contact with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this odd occurrance?

Comments (5)

Sponsored