Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nepenthes Coco Fiber Question

Posted by crazirob22 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 21:14

Hi. I just bought this great looking basket for my Nepenthes Truncata. It is one of those coco fiber lined baskets. Looks like this:
http://www.earthlygoods.com/large_planter_jpgs/coco_liner_large.jpg
Is there anything wrong with growing it in there? I don't know if it would give off something bad like nutrients or.. I don't know. I just thought it would be great to hold in a little extra moisture around the sides and bottom, ya know? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepenthes Coco Fiber Question

They're fine for Neps. In my experience they actually dry the mix out faster than plastic. The sides of plastic pots act as a barrier to evaporation. Fibre lined baskets allow for evaporation across their entire surface area.

o

Didn't think of that. Thanks for the info.

o

Yeah, just make sure you keep the soil moist all the time. Nepenthes don't like to be dry either, so too much evaporation would be bad as well. It is a balancing act with these plants. Mostly it is standing, stagnant water in trays that Nepenthes hate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here