Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Carnivorou s plants: Now or later?

Posted by legless_marine (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 13, 06 at 23:30

I've just received some C. Plants that I ordered off of the web. There is a variety of different kinds, and they are all young, in 2" squared seedling pots.

I want to pot them into bigger pots with a proper soil mixture, but they seem a bit travel-stressed right now, and I'd like to wait a few weeks. In addition, I've read that this should only be done in the spring.

Should I repot them now, wait a few weeks, or wait until next spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Carnivorou s plants: Now or later?

What plants did you receive? Yes, they are in shipping shock and they should be kept a little more moist and a little less lit for a few days. You Can Repot them now, but of you do, it would best to remove the entire contents from the pot as one unit, so as to minimize root disturbance. But it's really not necessary to re-pot right now, since overcrowding isn't likely to ba an issue and they could really use stability of conditions. The reason why spring recommended is because it assumes that the plants you have are ones that require a dormancy period and they are already asleep (VFT's, Sarracenias, cobra lily). You CAN re-pot at any time, but care ought be taken to avoid disturbing roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here