Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marklius

Can anyone identify this Sarrenia? Any care tips?

marklius
14 years ago

This is the first Sar I bought a while back.

http://www.petflytrap.com/Detail.bok?no=106

I now know that it is not a Cobra plant, but do not know what it is.

Since I got it, earlier this summer...it hasn't really had any new growth. I see flies go in and out of the pitchers all the time, and to my knowledge, it has never caught anything on its own. I have never seen any insects inside that it has caught, though i have fed it a few mealworms 9which i never use any more) and fruitflies.

It is on my balcony with my VTS and other Sarrcenias, all of which are doing quite well. Gets about 3-5 hours of direct sun per day and lots of ambient light for rest of the day, when the sun is behind buildings.

Any help?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

It's not the cobra LILY but it looks like it was crossed with Purpurea to me. It is NOT a houseplant or terrarium type plant, regardless of what that site says.

• mcantrell
    14 years ago

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v32n1p24_27.html

Parentage unknown. It was bred to be more of a houseplant, with no dormancy. Fascinating!

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Tommy what makes you think you know better? You can't even ID the plant! Any way, just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done. New lighting technology + increased air flow can do wonders.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Taz what are you talking about? I didn't say I could ID it. This is a temperate perennial and needs dormancy. It's no different than growing any other Sarrs.

http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=170

Stop with the attacking. Again.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Perhaps you should check out the link mcantrell posted. It would help to ID a plant before telling someone how to grow it.
    I'm not attacking anyone, just tired of the false statements.

• hunterkiller03
    14 years ago

Surprisingly, the link you provided for the site already has the name of this complex hybrid. Kind of like asking "What is the color of NapoleonÂs white horse?" I had to sneaker. SorryÂ

This is a complex hybrid developed by Booman Floral nursery and is the first patented protected cultivar. The parentage is unknown. This plant was developed for the sole purpose to be grown almost like a houseplant.

This cultivar is resistant to salt build up and fertilizer and can be grown almost like a regular houseplant. Plus, contrary to all other Sarracenias and their hybrids, this particular cultivar doesnÂt require dormancy and will grow year round.

Visited California this summer and bought this plant at Home Depot. CouldnÂt help buying my ÂCobra Nest and I was just passing by. Stop to take a rest and out of curiosity went inside the store and there they were.

Some of you may be familiar with Booman Floral nursery. They typically package their plants in a plastic sock or back with names like "Octopuses Plant", "Ninja Star Plant", and so on. They are some of the best providing a wide selection of CP.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

marklius very sorry for the hyjack! Purpurea is the exception to the sarrs rotting in a terrarium theory. and as someone above stated " Looks like it's crossed with purpurea to me" I agree!
    This could be true about many crossed with purpurea. Guess I'll have to get one or two and see for myself. I grew a purpurea last year in a terrarium. Growing it outside this year and the only difference is the veins on the pitchers are a little BOLDER. The plant is slightly bigger but not much. I figured it would at least double in size the way it did last year under a combo of T5 and T12 fluorescents. Not!

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Deja vu! I just saw a post about this plant (Cobra's Nest) in another forum. My comment was something like: I received this from someone last year. It looks like a purple purpurea. This is a less than wonderful picture of my plant, from a few months ago:

{{gwi:562522}}

I put mine through dormancy, along with the other plants in the planter. It did just fine.

I just took this one a few minutes ago:

{{gwi:562526}}

{{gwi:562530}}

• ipodtouch12
    14 years ago

is a sarracenia crobra nest marklius

• marklius
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys.

Looks like that is it though?

No species names like Alata, Purpurea, leucophyla, etc?

Just "cobras nest?"

I did look before i made the post and found nothing....lol.
    I guess "cobras nest" is it lol.

Thanks and good nite all!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA