Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hero81

Revived my rotting VFT...

hero81
16 years ago

And by "Revived", I mean I replaced it with new 3 very healthy green Venus Fly Traps bought from Home Depot. All have mini, medium, and a few huge traps. One has some redish forming along the teeth and the insides, proving and dictating its health.

Anyway, I still got the rotting one and decided to take another gaze at its roots, which hadn't gotten any better, no thanks to the "Rotting Plant Fairy".

I decided to take action by plucking the rotting leaves from the bulb. I got down to the core where it's not THAT bad (One small amber spot). But it might die still. So I replanted it with a new mixture of soil.

Other then the purchase of 3 new lovely plants, I also bought some Sphagnum Peat Moss (from MiracleGro) and some Perlite (Same brand) for replanting the new VFTs after they get used to the loss of humidity.

Caught and sorta crippled a small cockroach (baby form) and placed it into the clutches of one of the biggest traps I found.

Afterwards enjoyed the poor roach's life come to a slow painful stop when the jaws of the VFT slowly closed. I assume people played with that trap a few more then one time.

Other traps close fast through my personal "One Trap, Test Run". Where I see the speed of a medium sized trap and judge from there.

Anyway, I mixed a freezer bag full of the Moss and the Perlite and got the legendary 50:50 mixture.

Now the future awaits. And I can only hope the sun will continue to shine bright.

Anyone has a few tips to keeping my traps alive?

This includes the 3 healthy Venus Fly Traps (of course) and my rotting thing.

Comments (7)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Miraclegro fertilizes all of their products. That mixture will kill your plants if you use it... causing root rot again. The moss and perlite to use are dry bales wrapped in plastic and with the legend "Premium Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss." Never use little bags of moss and perlite as the companies that sell that stuff do not have have carnivorous plants in mind. I even saw a poor collection of Flytraps on a store shelf today, yes inside in no light with silly domes on them, and read the care instructions... Those instructions must have been written by some sadistic Venus Flytrap hater. They indicated that the plants should be placed in indirect light, fertilized occasionally, watered only occasionally with no tray, and repotted in Orchid medium. I know of no bog that has bark mulch and coconut husk in it.

The bales of moss will be about 1-2 feet across and completely dry. Never trust a fertilizer company to make unfertilized carnivorous plant products.

• hero81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I haven't repotted it yet... And now I don't plan to, unless that rotted plant miraculously grows again... Which I highly doubt now.

What is suggested that I do? Refund my dirt?
    What CAN I do with that dirt? Sand castle?

Is it possible to de-fertilize Miraclegro products?

Where can I get some non-fertilized stuff?

Is Perlite bad?

I feel like I have failed again.

: [

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

No, its not failure, its just all those blasted fertilized products. The bales of dry unfertilized moss can be found at nurseries and hardware stores. Perlite is fine for Flytrap drainage, it is just that it is sometimes fertilized too, especially anything by Miracle Gro. I think they even fertilize the plastic bag the stuff comes in, just kidding.

The perlite can be bought dry and unfertilized in bales too.

You can also just buy premixed moss and perlite from specialty growers online.. the same companies that sell the plants themselves, Sarracenia Northwest, California Carnivores and so forth. They would not tolerate fertilizer in their mix.

• hero81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is there any way I can get a Small package of the moss and perlite? Bales sound way huge...

• kmmanship
    16 years ago

Absolutely! You can buy small bags of moss & perlite at the local nursery/hardware store....whatever sells plant stuff like potting soil in smaller quantities. They usually have something like 1 or 2 lb. bags of perlite and the same of moss, by volume.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Just remember that some, if not most, of those small bags might be fertilized or contain some "special mix" that carnivorous plants would object to. If you can find any unfertilized bags of specific brands that don't kill your plants, give us a heads up. We can't find 'em.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I would also recommend the small bags of the dried LFS (Long Fibered Sphagnum) for ~$4. They thrive in LFS, mixed with sand and peat.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths