Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
info on best soil

Posted by woollady z8 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 2:50

hi i wonder what is the best soil mix for a sarracenia.right now it is in a 4" pot. it has some new growth but was damaged a while ago when regular water was given to it.does the one size up for the pot apply to this plant?thank you all for you help.also if the plant doesn't get enough bugs to eat will it die?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: info on best soil

I like to mix sand, sphagnum peat, and topdress with long fibered sphagnum (LFS). All of those can be purchased at something like Lowes. Unfortunately, if you are only talking about a small amount of need, this is overkill. So if you only have to fill a small amount, I would simply buy a bag of LFS, for ~$4-5. Rinse all media, especially sand and peat if you use it. Pool filter sand is also very good. Sand from the Building Materials section is good, as well as sand blasting sand. The big bales (2.2 or 3.5 cm)of peat are the correct peat to use, not the Scotts brand, with all the ferilizers.

o
RE: info on best soil

A 50/50 mix of perlite and peat moss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here