Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidyut_gw

Drosera Capensis seedling

vidyut
9 years ago

I have a somewhat rich history of failure to germinate sundews. At the last attempt, I accidentally dropped one seed into another seedling pot for normal vegetables (which later got planted with capsicum which is yet to germinate). I remember because I got the seeds fairly expensive and I have just 5-10 of four varieties (now only 2-3 each left).

After one month of the sundews not germinating (I was told capensis should germinate in a week or two) I gave up on them. It is a month since. Three days ago, there was this seedling. Germinated in nothing but rinsed coco peat left open in the balcony. Right at the edge of the cup.

It is too small to photograph yet but it is definitely a drosera seedling (I googled up endless photos to compare).

Now my dilemma is, should I leave it there or plant it in a more drosera-like situation? This is just a pot with moist coco peat AND treated with a bio fungicide (and perhaps a very very little vermicompost) and I'm worried that once the energy from the seed goes, the seedling will die because of the incorrect medium and fungicide. On the other hand, my rich history of not being able to grow sundews (not the first time I've purchased these seeds :/) practically guarantees that if I transplant it, I'll likely kill it.

Or should I just leave it where it is, and keep giving it lots of distilled water to hopefully flush out anything it doesn't want there? Should I at least bring it in at night so it is less susceptible to potential pests and use a watering tray? I am hesitant to do anything that could jinx it. I mean, it has grown in what it got, which is my normal rather rough seedling procedure (no lights, no indoors, no cover, no tray, tap water, no efforts to sterilize, not washing mixing containers between different mixes... just seeds in cups with rinsed cocopeat and biofungicide because someone suggested). Is it that I was doing something wrong trying to germinate them (covered cups, purchased carnivorous plant mix, distilled water), and it didn't want too much fussing and will die if I do it?

I am terrified :p

It is my first sundew ever after gazillion frustrations. I don't want it to die.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus