Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sarracenia & Rainy days

Posted by byron_1 z10FL (crvny@strato.net) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 3:48

Has anyone ever wonder how come Sarracenias have not evolved any system to prevent the pitchers from gathering too much water and bending over during rain storms?

It seems that the pitcher after it falls, it rarely goes back no normal. So the plant will lose that means of catching insects till the next one grows.

Perhaps they do not need to eat as much as they do and can afford pitchers dropping to the sides.

What do you think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sarracenia & Rainy days

The pitchers that fall or bend over are from a weak and not a healthy plant.

o

Sorry mate, but my sarracenia a are very healthy. I am referring to the long tall ones like the leucophyllas. The rain that builds up during heavy rains weights too much and they bend. They have no means of getting rid of the extra water, like the heliamphoras.

o

This time of year Flavas for example tend to flop over. As the insects rot the bottom of the pitcher it weakens and is easily bent. Totally normal.

o

Yes, but these ones are perfect. If you fill your tall sarracenia with water, it will tip over because of the weight. Every time I go outside after a strong storm, I find them on the floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here