Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting a Venus Fly Trap

Posted by dawnstorm 7/MD (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 10:03

Last winter I bought a Venus fly trap and it's doing great--it's been living large all summer outside, catching flies right and left. I noticed not so long ago, that it looks rootbound and I was thinking of transplanting it. When is a good time to do this and do I have to use special soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting a Venus Fly Trap

Ideally, when it is dormant, in winter. But as long as you prepare a larger pot first and move the whole of its contents, as one unit, you can do it anytime. The idea is to minimize root disturbance and when it's asleep or carefully removed, it doesn't notice anything.

o
RE: Transplanting a Venus Fly Trap

From what I've read... DONT DO IT!

From what I've had happen when I tried it... BE CAREFULL LOL. When I tried transplanting my first VFT I damaged his roots. Belive me thats way easy to do. I lost my first fly trap because of that. The fly trap roots are more fragile then you might think. Seriously.

If you're intent on doing it... Yes, durring winter domancy is best. If it doesn't go dormant this winter, yes you can still do it just make sure you move all of it, as carefully and without disturbance as possible to a pot of larger size.

The medium I use is half spagnum peat (not the green stuff) half washed sand box sand. Seems to keep them happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here