Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutant_hybrid

kick starting Sarracenia seedlings

mutant_hybrid
16 years ago

We have all heard that repotting plants once a year can help out with invigorating them and getting them started after a dormant period, however; repotting them sooner can have beneficial effects, particularly on seedlings.

Use a toothpick to carefully dig around each Sarracenia seedling to be replanted; each will have a 1-2 inch root system by about 6 months. Punch a hole deep enough for the roots with the toothpick while the seedling soaks in distilled water for a minute. Guide the roots carefully into the hole and lightly tamp it down around the plant with your fingers. After they are all repotted, spray them well to settle the soil around them.

In a couple of weeks you will notice enhanced growth like this. Note how much taller the newest leaves are. Oxygenation and fresh soil, no fertilizer used (some people do lightly fertilize these guys, but I like to do things as naturally as possible to cut down on mishaps like overapplication of fertilizers).

{{gwi:563344}}

Those seedlings were repotted at about 1-2 months of growth and now at 6 months. Even the unhealthy looking seedlings rebounded and are growing new, larger leaves. This is particularly helpful if you think your medium is souring or if you note a slowing in plant growth.

Comments (24)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing your technique!

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Hi mutant hybrid,
    Could you post a list of the carnivorous plants you have to trade?
    I would like to trade with you or buy some plants from you.
    Here is a list of the plants I grow:
    Drosera Capensis
    N.sanguinea
    P.esseriana
    P.moranensis
    N. x ventrata
    N. rafflesiana
    D. capensis 'Albino'
    D. capensis 'Red'
    U. longifolia
    S. leucophylla
    S. flava
    S. x Scarlette belle
    S. x Judith hindle
    Venus flytrap
    S. purpurea
    Here is a list of the plants I am planning to get:
    P. primuliflora
    S. Dana's delight
    N. rajah
    D. regia
    If you have Sarracenia minor, please let me know.
    I would like to trade or buy it from you.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

carnivorousplants:

My collection is rather small and I am just getting started again. In addition, I am planning a move, so I will have to get reestablished. Once I have my seedlings going for a year or so I will have some of them available to trade or give away. So far as Sarracenia minor, I just received one that was taken as a rhozome division recently. Unfortunately, I will have to let it grow for a year or two before it is ready to divide again. In addition, it is recently repotted as the soil it was in started to sour, so I am keeping a watch on it hoping it will rebound. None of my other plants had this problem, so I am wondering why just the S. minor soil? I might have to repot it yet again if I do not note a return to healthy growing.

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

A small collection! LOL!
    You are one of best carnivorous plant growers I have ever met!
    Anyway,I would still like to trade.
    Just give me a list and I will see what I would like.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

carnivorousplants,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, however; I would dispute that claim. Look around this forum and you will see quite a few people skilled in growing carnivorous plants, many much more skilled than I.

In any case, I really do only have a small collection for now.

Dionaea muscipula (typical)
    Sarracenia minor
    Nepenthes sanguinea
    Drosera adela
    Drosera spatulata
    Drosera graminifolia
    Drosera capensis
    Sarracenia hybrid unknowns

For now I am not able to trade though, so I will have to wait till after the move and until I am sure the plants are healthy and/or divisible before I can trade.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I'd be happy to help ya get going again, when you are ready.

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A couple of weeks after the last photo:

{{gwi:563345}}

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tallest seedling is now almost 3 inches tall, just about overtaking my half grown Venus Flytraps.

{{gwi:563346}}

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Man, we should do a trade!

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Petiolaris, yeah next year sometime I think I will be ready to give some of them new homes.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Sounds good. Not sure what your grow list is but feel free to contact me via Email for mine.

Jim

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

At 10 months some of them are starting to really take shape. I had to seperate some out, still over 40 altogether, into several 3-5 inch pots to give them some room and light. Here are a few of my favorites that not only look nice, but are much larger than the rest.

{{gwi:563347}}

{{gwi:563348}}

{{gwi:563349}}

I have decided to keep them growing through winter and see what they look like next year.

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Have any more recent pics?
    I really want to see how they turn out.
    Good Luck,
    Adrian

• don555
    16 years ago

Mutant,
    You are sure doing something right there! Hard to believe those are only 10 months old, very impressive. Any idea what species or hybrids?

I've got some S.purpurea seeds that have been stratified in the fridge for almost 3 months now, so it'll soon be time to plant them. I will definitely try your technique to make them grow like weeds :)

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

carnivorousplants:

I will be posting some new pics very soon, I just finished a move... my version of the do it yourself apartment shuffle in 2 days over 165 miles distance, and I just about have everything in order finally.

don555:

Thanks, but I think they are doing all the work. Anyways, I think the seeds were a mixed bag or random hybrids as they all look very different from one another now. One is even beginning to divide its rhizome into a tiny plantlet now... I'll post a pic of that too later tonight.

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

O.K. here are the new pics of my Sarracenia hybrid seedlings... they are about 11 months old now.

Here are pics of the 5 inch pot full of about half the seedlings.

{{gwi:563350}}

{{gwi:563352}}

This pic is of one seedling with distinct S. purpurea ancestry. It is doing the best right now and, as you can see, has a tiny plantlet dividing off it already... yes the plantlet is part of the rhizome, not another late bloomer seed.

{{gwi:563354}}

This pic is of it's most recent pitcher, all of 2 inches long. The entire plant is just over 3 inches across.

{{gwi:563356}}

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Looking real good!

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Thanks!
    They look amazing and much redder than in the last photos!
    Good Luck,
    Adrian

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone,

They needed a bit of seperating and I stepped them up closer to the florescent lights, so now they are getting better coloration. There are still over 20 of them that are younger seedlings that have not gone so far in their development, but they are still growing more every day. Now I have some sunny windows to put them in, but it is a bit hot with the florescent lights and the heat in South Texas all at once (even in winter). I am trying out some window shades, one that is a charcoal colored sun blocker screen, and I just cut a bunch of decorative holes in it to provide dappled light while cutting heat and glare. That with my strong floros should help out the light greedy plants a bit more.

• antechron
    16 years ago

does this technique work with VFT seedlings as well?

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Antechron,

I am not sure, I have not tried with them yet.

• cper001
    16 years ago

That growth is amazing!!!!

I am pleased I stumbled across this thread!! When I was doubled over peering closely at my Sarr seeds this morning I noticed that some of them have tiny cracks with little green shoots starting out of them. Yippee!!

I was expecting to be in for the "long haul" waiting for them to grow but I have been encouraged by these photo's and will definitely use this regular repotting method when I actually have something that resembles plants :)

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will place some new photos soon, I have been working too much lately, but I will try to squeeze some time in for some recent updates on my Sarracenias. I have one that is almost 5 inches across now.

• mutant_hybrid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are my recent pics of my favorite Sarr juveniles, now about 16 months old.

{{gwi:563358}}

As you can see, the largest one is almost as big around as the 5 inch pot and looks like it mostly expressed S. purpurea ancestry.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!