Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

What type of CP is this please?

LilBit7765
9 years ago

I just got this yesterday from a local nursery the woman gave it to me because it has fungus in its leaves. She told me to wash in dish soap and water (only on the leaves) then spray with bionide's fungal spray. The fungus scraped off her finger and did NOT eat through the leaf. This will be my first one, and would like to care for it properly. So any special needs would be GREATLY appreciated. Pulse I heard these are pretty sensitive, so spraying the leaves with that bionide's fungal spray would this be ok? Also what's the best mix to put them in? Thanks SOIOO much!!! Oh almost forgot, I live in Michigan, what to do in winter? Thanks again! (Oh don't worry he is NOT staying in this spot, just getting ready to wash his leaves) :)

Comments (17)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

It's a Nepenthes. Keep it inside in a bright window. If the fungicide is SULPHUR based (read the lable) it's fine. Use rain water or distilled water only. You can cut off any dying pitchers at any time.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thank you SOOOO much!!!!! Is fungus easy to get rid of? Or do you think it will eventually kill the plant? How often should I wash the leaves and spray with the SULFUR FUNGAL SPRAY? And what type of mix should I use for this plants soil? Thanks again!! And don't worry, I would NEVER use anything BUT distilled or rain water. :)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

You need to keep water in the pitchers.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was told half filled by the lady at the nursery is that correct?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Just spray the plant per lable instructions.

New pitchers will produce their own liquid. You do not need to add any to current pitchers.

As for soil I use a 50/50 mix of Perlite and peat moss with a handful of orchid mix. DO NOT use any Miracle Grow products! They contain fertilizers that will kill all carnivorous plants.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I never had one. My friend has one. The first time I saw one it was growing at a botanical garden in Ft. Pierce.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok......well I got SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS. Is this ok? The other mosses they had, had fertilizer in them so I didn't get those. Oh I just wanted to say I looked at the pic I posted and the cups in the pic look brown. But they're NOT BROWN. I guess my phones lighting sucks on the camera because the cups are a dark burgundy kinda color. There is one smallish brown cup that I will cut off. But do I cut as close to the leaf as I can or as close to the cup as I can? Tommy, thanks for ALL your help. Can I use repti bark as my bark for the mix? Thanks again for everyone's help!! :) PS this was the SMALLEST bag I could find WITHOUT fertilizers! Isn't that CRAZY?! Lol

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

That peat moss should be fine. If the reptile bark pieces are the size of orchid bark pieces they should be o.k.

You can cut the pitcher off up near the leaf tip.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Sorry. When they are outside they get rain in them. My girl friend puts water in her pitchers. I think they told her at the store to do that.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I just googled it. Wikihow says to fill the cups 1/2 to 3/4 full of water.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

IF the pitchers emptied during shipping you can fill the pitchers 1/4 full. They produce less than that when new. I wouldn't trust Wikihow.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone!!! I appreciate all your help!! Do you think I can safely repot now? I really don't know what it's in right now and that worries me a bit. I read that you can repot at anytime with these but you know how with some plants everyone says to wait till next spring. What would you recommend Tommy? Thanks again! (And sorry for all the questions)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

You could repot it now but does it NEED to be repotted?

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well from what I've read they shouldn't be in a soil with a lot of nourishment. (Sorry I just got don't working an overnight shift and I can't for the life of me think of the RIGHT word) but basically from what I've read (which I know depending on WHERE you read it, you could get COMPLETELY different info) but anyway, from what I gathered, they should just be in sphagnum peat moss like you said. And I also read that you could add perlite to help with drainage. But NOT to use something that has lots of nutrients. I'm kind of embarrassed to say this but I have NO IDEA what it's in now. I grow succulents and I use a gritty mix with NO organic material in it except for the bark. So my experience with soils is just when I get them home I repot in my gritty mix. To me it looks like regular soil NOT moss but then again Idont have any experience with moss or peat moss etc but here a pic of the soil. Whatcha think? Thanks again. Sorry if I'm babbling I'm SOOO tired and I haven't repotted yet because I wanted to hear what you had to say thanks!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

that bale of peat.. will be a dust storm ...

open it outdoors ... with a nice breeze at your back.. and store dry.. in the garage ...

you bought enough for about 50 thousand plants... lol ... as that compressed bales will generate maybe 5X the bale size ...

you will never wet it in a pot.. wet before use ... and hot water makes the job go faster ... so do it a day or two in advance .. do not use it hot ... i use an old plastic sink dish pan for wetting.. think dollar store ....

the bag gives no indication of any added nutrients ...

try not to let it go bone dry in the pot ... sometimes its real hard to rewet.. but dont drown you plant..

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st and 4th pix

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

It's hard to tell from the photo what that soil is but you're probably alright until next spring. HOWEVER you can repot if you want. I use 50 / 50 peat moss and Perlite with a handful of orchid bark mix. You want to pre-moisten the mix before repotting then after repotting give the plant another good drink to settle the soil around the roots.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks!! :) I appreciate it!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors