Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mad_hatter1312

Is My Pinguicula Primuliflora Dying?

mad_hatter1312
13 years ago

I just received this butterwort two days ago in the mail, and once I got home I planted it. Soon after, it started looking really bad and it hasn't showed any signs of improvement since.

{{gwi:563452}}

{{gwi:563452}}

{{gwi:563454}}

Comments (6)

• hunterkiller03
    13 years ago

I don�t see the any green what�s the heart of the plant. It�s dead.

Now to find out why it died. I for this particular pin, I wouldn�t use terracotta pots, they release minerals to the soil. Some Mexican ping & its hybrid do well with terracotta pot since most Mexican ping do grow in neutral soil & tolerate alkaline soil. Some even growing directly on pure gypsum soil like the spider butterworts.

Now, what kind of soil were you growing it in? And what kind of water were you using?

• mad_hatter1312
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The pot isn't terracotta, it's plastic. I was using sphagnum moss for the first two days, but then I put it in peat moss and vermiculite. I used distilled water to water it.

• hunterkiller03
    13 years ago

Holy cow! What happen to my post!?! My post came out wierd! Lol!

Anyways. It looked like terracotta in the photo. Looks like you did what you could.

The next set of question is, if you bought sphagnum moss or vermiculte "fortified" with plant food or some wetting agent. I've lost a few of my plant when I bought sphagnum moss with additives added to it.

If it turns out that you did by pure sphagnum moss with no additives.

But it could simply be that it went into shock, they were growing in a greenhouse with higher humidity and you exposed it too soon to drier air. Is the heart of your ping still green? I can't make it out if its still alive.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I'd back off on the water. They don't NEED to be that wet.

Another thing I've noticed is the presence of wood and sticks in the mix which tells me there's more than sphagnum and vermiculite in it. You didn't use Miracle Grow sphagnum did you?

• mad_hatter1312
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@hunterkiller The sphagnum I used was natural, it's the same brand that I have used on all my other carnivorous plants. My vermiculite was all natural also. The center doesn't appear green so I'm pretty sure it's gone. It's been losing more and more green everyday.

@taz No, the wood is from the peat moss. I used all sphagnum at first, and then I put it in peat moss and vermiculite.

• hunterkiller03
    13 years ago

Hi, taking my time to respond.

if it died despite you did everything right, then it is something that you had no control. maybe it was the shock of travel.

Things like this happens & your left your head scratching, all it can be said is try again.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts