Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutant_hybrid

Dividing and repotting a clump of D. spatulata

mutant_hybrid
16 years ago

It can be a bit unnerving when your Drosera spatulata clump starts looking listless, stops dewing much, and some of the adult plants start to brown. At that time, it is the end of life for that clump, but not the individual plants. Yes, it is hard to imagine such tiny plants being divided by hand and surviving, but they are tough little plants.

Before

{{gwi:562448}}

After

{{gwi:563538}}

{{gwi:563539}}

You just have to unpot the clump, soak the roots in distilled water to loosen them for a minute, and start working at the clump with your fingers until you feel natural weak points where individual plants come free. Yes, you will snap some roots and damage some of the tiny plants, but like I said, they are tough. The previous photos were taken a few days after the repotting and they are all still alive so far, some even starting to open new dew laden leaves already. Now I will have two five inch pots full to bursting with large clumps of D. spatulata in a year. Oddly, the plants doing the best are the tiny plantlets that did not have established root systems yet. They broke free from the parents and I just set them in the pot to see if they would survive, so far so good.

Comments (5)

Sponsored