Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nepenthes ventricosa prune and pitcher growing advice please

Posted by peger 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 13:52

A year ago, from a local nursery store, I bought this nepenthes ventricosa (maybe, even though the pitcher was green color when i purchased it).

There were more than six pitchers. Then they all gradually dried out. And never did new pitcher grow. I first thought it's still in shock. But during the year, the vines have grown by 3 feet. And there are five new sprouts. I have to cut some because it's too crowded. So looks like the plant is doing well. But why there is no pitcher? Is that because vines are too long? Should I prune them?

Lighting: it was hanging in the corner between north window and west window in Seattle (zone 8) . It's summer now, there are a lot of sunlight.

Water: In the beginning, i water it weekly. Since two months ago, I realized it needs more water, started to do so every three days. I used filtered tap water.

Nutrition: Haven't applied any.

Humidity: 50% in the summer, could be lower around 40% in winter.

Pot: I kept the original pot for the past year. Moved it to a bigger net pot yesterday.

This post was edited by peger on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 14:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nepenthes ventricosa prune and pitcher growing advice please

Probably needs some food. 1/4 strength orchid food either sprayed on the leaves or poured into the soil. Once every 2 weeks. Keep the soil moist, never let it dry and switch to distilled or rain water.

o

Thanks tommyr! I will do the exact thing you told me, see how it works.

o

Just remember, in the fall and winter pitcher production slows way down and may stop. Not to worry though, it's normal.

o

Thanks for the good advice. So should i spray less orchid food during fall & winter?

o

Yes. I start fertilizing mine every 2 weeks around April where I am.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here