Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Green Stuff?

Posted by dranomax (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 14:25

I've ordered some long fibered sphagnum moss for my terrarium. Right now the mix is purely peat moss and perlite which is not keeping very wet or humid which is why I ordered the sphagnum. Anyway, I've noticed some very strange looking stuff growing on top of the peat. It's extremely bright green, to where it's almost comical. It grows in little patches around the cage and a little around some red dragons I have. Is this stuff mold? What should I do if it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Green Stuff?

It is very likley algae.
It does'nt do any damage but if it gets to big,spray it with fungicide.
Adrian

o

Alright, thanks!

o

Do you have a picture of it?

o

One question, is the green stuff a slimy film or looks like tiny feather plants. Can you described them better, it may be juvenile sphagnum moss.

o

The real deal:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Bad moss:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

No, it just looks like a film. I'm pretty sure it's just algae. Thanks for all the answers though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here