Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sarracenia Strong odor?

Posted by RedBlue none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 14:53

So Sarracenia are suppose to have a really strong odor to them right? For attracting insects.

I have them in a pot over a year old. For the past month a strong odor has been coming from them. This is normal correct?

Here is a link that might be useful: This species

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sarracenia Strong odor?

They don't stink, the lips of the plant has a sweet nectar that attracts the insects. Your water may be stagnant. They normally do not stink.

o

You kinda answered your own question, they do produce an odor to attract insects. From the link you provided, they look like Sarracenia alata, they have a feint sweet smell to attract prey.

Anyways... you didn't explain what part of the plat this odor is coming from. It could be stagnate water as tommyr said. But it could be coming from the pitcher itself or the opening of the pitcher.

Sarracenias do produce a rank odor from digesting & decaying insects trapped inside the pitchers. So yeah... it's normal.

So you are growing Sarracenia alata?

This post was edited by hunterkiller03 on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 22:31

o

Thanks

The odor was coming from the openings of the pitcher. So most likely it was digestion liquids. Also just did a soil, water change just to be sure.

Don't think I have the sweet smelling nectar ones, cause I've nevered smelt anything sweet from them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here