Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of carnivourous plants

Posted by swamp_thing z6 OH (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 16:14

I would like to know what kind of carnivorous plants should I get?I live on zone 6 and don't want to get any that may not survive or grow for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of carnivourous plants

It really depends upon where and how you want to grow them. What I mean is doyouwant to grow them outside? In a bog garden? Do you want to grow them inside? In a terrarium or at a window sill?

Many CP's will do well all year long at a window sill. Some grow well in a terrarium. Some grow well outside all year long and others need to be brought inside to escape the cold. Some require a dormancy and some do not.

There are many good beginner plants, like D.intermedia, capensis, spatulata, binata, filiformis, aliciae, adelae, rotundifolia, burmannii, pigmy sundews.... Also, Mexican butterworts, P. primuliflora, many bladderworts, S. purpurea, leucophylla, N. ventrata....

Some can be purchased at a local greenhouse / nursery, like at Lowes or Home Depot. Or, you may want to try an online store or Ebay or work with a forum member.

o

I think indoors would be better for me and maybe taken it outdoors in the spring for some fresh air? I really would like to find a forum member to trade with but I cannot find anyone yet?Thank you so much for your list and will start finding informatio about them all!

o

Try the backyard bogs!! Luis

o

Feel free to Email me for some starter plants.

o

Try a tropical Sundew like D. adelae, easily grows on a window sill! A Nepenthes will grow in a sunny window also, try a Alata x Ventrata!

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here