Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Recycle" the pitchers?

Posted by apg4 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 16:23

I've had a Neps alata for several years now, and it's doing just fine. Lives outdoors in the summer and the greenhouse in the winter. Lots of pitcher production and vine growth.

My question is what to do with the dried-out pitchers...and I'm not sure if I understand their life-cycle in the first place. From reading another source on VFTs, it said that these plants benefit from traps and leaves that have died after several meals being left on the soil to decompose.

Now I realize that neps live in the trees - in "medium" rather than bogs or dirt like VFTs. The pitchers that I have autopsied look like they dined pretty well before their demise.

So prune and remove or return to the pot?

Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Recycle" the pitchers?

Either way, you aren't growing them in natural conditions so it doesn't really matter. Not all Nepenthes grow in trees, many grow on the ground, or on rocky cliffs. It's impossible to recreate exactly the media any Nepenthes grow in, so trying to replicate a part of natural decay is kind of a waste of time, unless it's something you like to do for any particular reason. I personally cut them off as decaying matter tends to encourage rot, fungus,and molds, and I don't want to encourage that around my plants as much as I can help it.

o
RE: "Recycle" the pitchers?

I agree with Mel. I cut mine off when I see them start to decay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here