Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveyjones_gw

Nepenthes - to trim or not to trim?

daveyjones
16 years ago

Hi all. So here is my brand new nepenthes x velvet from Sarracenia Northwest. Seems to be a nice little plant. (Click the thumbnails for larger images)

{{gwi:563858}}

{{gwi:563860}}

Anyways... there is one obvious developing upper pitcher. By looking at the rest of the vines coming in, it also seems that they will be growing upper pitchers. Big problem... I don't want upper pitchers, but can't bring myself to hack away at this plant I just spent $40 on (inc. shipping.) The upper pitchers from this plant are really really really boring, and from pictures it seems the lowers are soooo much nicer. Anybody have any ideas? Hints? Experience? Will this plant eventually sort of bud off new plants (like Sundews or VFTs) that would grow lower pitchers? If I don't trim it will I be stuck with upper pitchers forever? You guys have been so informative so far, I really look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Comments (12)

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

If you want it to produce lower pitchers, than you would have to cut it down to a stump.But don't worry, it'll grow back.I'm not sure if it'll grow plantlets but most nepenthes do.I started with one nepenthes sanguinea and now I have 5!!.
    - Adrian

• daveyjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Next to my plant is a stump that was cut off when I received it.

{{gwi:563862}}

As you can see there is one living leaf, but also two blackish-gray parts where it was cut off. I wonder if this portion of the plant will begin to grow again. Thoughts?

• daveyjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry to keep adding on to my post, but this pic is from the other side of the plant. A plantlet maybe? Pic is a bit blurry, but not too bad.

{{gwi:563864}}

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Oh yeah,
    I see it.It is hard to tell if it is a plant or a one of it's baby leaves.
    And that little stump, since the top is black it will not grow anymore.
    - Adrian

• daveyjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What if I cut it down a bit more there?

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

I'm not sure but if you do, and it looks fresh and green then it might grow back.
    If I were you I would try that because that little plant will produce nice lower pitchers.But only cut it down until you get to a green part.
    - Adrian

• daveyjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a picture of the ex-stump. It looks pretty green and juicy. Any idea on how long it will take before I see some new growth? Picture

{{gwi:563866}}

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

OK,
    Now all you have to do is wait a couple of weeks and you will see tiny leaves sprouting out of the stump.If you want to speed it up then you would have to take it out of the pot and dip the stump in rooting hormone.And remember to mist the stump alot or it'll turn black again.
    - Adrian

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Or, you could just leave the plant alone for a while and it will grow new vines with younger base leaves that will grow lower pitchers. If you take a cutting from the plant's upper vine, it will make a new plant with only upper pitchers... If you cut the plant down, it would have to start the process over again and make lower pitchers like Carnivorousplants indicated. Since it is a new plant, why stress it more now? It looks great to me.

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

Give Sarr NW a call and explain the situation. They may have some suggetsions

• myrmecodia
    16 years ago

I would not drastically prune your Nepenthes. Nepenthes do not have tuberous storage roots, and if you cut off most of the growing stem, your plant will be very slow to recover. It will be like starting over with a small cutting. Your plant will sprout new basal rosettes in time, and if you leave the existing stem, new growth will be much faster. When the basal rosettes are large enough, you can prune off the climbing stem without setting back your plant.

If you allow the climbing stem to droop below the level of the pot, that will often induce the plant to produce a new basal rosette with lower pitchers.

• hikenyura
    16 years ago

Ive heard basal shoots at the beggining grow a little lower pitchers

Sponsored