Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Neps from Lowe's

ltecato
15 years ago

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Nepenthes at Lowe's, packaged in the usual death cubes. So I bought a couple, but I don't know what their parentage is because the package just said they were hybrids. The supplier is a company called Gublers.

I have another Nepenthes from Sarracenia NW. It's a sanguinea, and it came rooted in orchid-type medium. The Gublers plants appear to be in LFS. Would there be any harm in transferring them to something a little less soggy? Is orchid mix OK for most Nepenthes?

Comments (8)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

NO orchid mix. LFSM or 50/50 peat moss and perlite is perfect for them.
    They like wet feet.

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

I've noticed the plants with the cup dome from Gublers Lowes is selling. The nep could be N. x 'Judith Finn'. But I wont know until it reaches a decent size. But I did buy the nep and also what looks to be VFT 'Dentate'.

I'm gonna keep them in their little pots, its perfect for them now since both are small plants. LFSM is fine for them.

Gublers have been selling more variety of CP then Botanical Wonders, the ones with the infamous "cubes of death". Last year Gublers sold what seemed to be P. cyclosecta (the typical bluish leaves of this plant), which I wish I had purchased (damn!), P. lutea, & P. 'Pirouette', which I did buy last November and now have 2 when it split and flowered. Flowers is the best way to identify them beside their leaf characteristics, it helps cement what species it is. I've also purchased what seems to be P. laueana or could be P. "Fraser Beaut because of the leaf shapes but who knows, I wont know until it flowers. But whatever it is, I got this one for only 75 because it was nothing but a thin stringy stem with broken leaves. Stem recovered into a beautiful red plant and the broken leaves developed into new plants.

Gublers have sold, besides N ventricosa, N x 'Ventrata' & the above mantioned nepenthes hybrid, N. madagascariensis & what seens to be N. rafflessiana.

I'm keeping an eye on the plants offered by Gublers, who knows what they will sell next. I'm making it a game identifying the plants Gubler sells.

Another nursery that sometimes sell plants here is Booman Floral/ Bloomrite - Nurserymen's Exchange. They have sold more species of Sarracenias & Droseras but unfortunately its rare to see their plants sold here in Arizona. Last year on November, their plants were being sold at Walgreen's stores. That's where I bought my P. x 'Titan', which they called "Ninja Starfish plant", even had a little pic of a star dressed up as a ninja. Very funny.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    A little trick I've found somewhat effective for ID's from mass marketers is to check out the website of the producing nursery.. This will generally give you a list of what they are growing. Obviously it can't be a species they're not growing. If they are growing a whole bunch of different hybrids you're in trouble lol.
    I buy a lot of plants from mass marketers mainly because of the price but invaribly the name is either lacking or worse wrong.
    I recently bought a species marked "Curcuma" I felt sure it was a ginger but definitely not "Curcuma" Checked out the wesite and disovered all gingers were maketed as "Curcuma lol. By guessing and googling different species
    I got it down to Globba winnettii.Variety "White Dragon"
    So certainly have a much better ID than when I got it but of course it's hybrid so positive ID. is almost impossible. At least I know for sure what it is not!!
    gary

• ltecato
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention I also bought one of Gublers' flytraps. I already have a bunch of VFTs but I got this one because it looks different. The traps were blood red and the leaves were thin and pale yellow. I put it outside and it's already caught about a half-dozen flies.

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

I wasn't aware anyone had figured out where the Deathcubes were coming from. There's no identifying company names on the cubes themselves, I don't think?

My Monkey Cup from Lowes is a N. Ventricosa, I believe:
    http://kita.ath.cx/plants/06.01.08/MonkeyCup.JPG
    http://kita.ath.cx/plants/06.01.08/ZomgHUGE.JPG

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

To find the grower, you have to look at the label or the packaging material and you will find who are the suppliers of CP of the store. Not only that, the company always stay with the same method of packaging gthe plants. Gubler now and them may change how they ship their plants like selling 'ventratas' in 6 inch pots and enveloped in clear plastic or what they did with 'Judith Hindle', potted in 4 inch pots like any plant and that's it.

Anyways, I didn't start the list but I have been using it and have been updating it. This is what I got for now and any feedback will be appreciated.

Booman Floral - Vista, CA (also as Bloomrite/Nurserymen's Exchange - Morro Bay & Vista, CA
    typical packaging: dome but most often a large potted plants in plastic bag/sock.
    Found in: HD, Lowe's, Walgreen's.
    CP:
    Dionaea muscipula (typical)
    Drosera capensis, D. spatulata, D. 'Marston's Dragon', D. multifida, D. binata, D. intermedia, D. adelae, D. nidiformis - dielsonii
    Sarracenia minor, S. purpurea, S. flava (ssp. rugelii?), S. leucophylla, S. x 'Cobra's Nest', S. x 'Judith Hindle'
    Darlingtonia californica
    Nepenthes x 'Ventrata', N. x 'Judith Finn'
    Pinguicula x 'Titan'

Botanical Wonders - CIP Nursery - NC
    Region: East of Rockies?
    Typical packaging: clear plastic cubes (a.k.a. Cube of Death by in CP forums)
    Found in: Lowe's (only to date)
    CPs:
    Dionaea muscipula (typical)
    Darlingtonia californica
    Sarracenia rubra, 'Judith Hindle', S. x wrigleyana ('Scarlet Belle'), S. purpurea
    Drosera adelae
    Nepenthes ventricosa
    Pinguicula primuliflora, P. vulgaris?

Gubler Orchids - Landers, CA
    Region: Western States? Nationwide?
    Typical packaging: dome cup on small 3' pot.
    Found in: Lowe's, HD
    CPs:
    Darlingtonia californica
    Dionaea muscipula (typical, 'Cupped Trap', 'Dentate', 'Crested Petiole' 'Akai Ryu'?)
    Sarracenia psitticina, S. rubra, S. x 'Judith Hindle', S. purpurea, S. x wrigleyana
    Drosera tokaiensis (the popular D. rotundifolia x D. spathulata hybrid), D. adelea, D. rotundifolia, D. capensis (narrow leaf?)
    Nepenthes ventricosa, N x 'Ventrata', Nepenthes x 'Judith Finn', N. madagascariensis, N. rafflesiana?
    Pinguicula primuliflora, P. x 'Pirouette', P. cyclosecta, P. lutea, P. ?, P. ??

As you can see, the ones with question marks are yet to be identified for example P. ? is one and P. ?? is another. Others because the plant was small, I could only determined what I can by the aspect of its urn. Booman Floral does a better job at naming their plants then Gubler.

So what do you think of my list. This is only something I use as a guide and it's not official. Gublers have been rotating different species of plants but they always sell the popular Venus flytraps cultivars. So any feedback will be helpful.

And nice plants by the way, my plants that I bought also from the Cube of Death. I'm still trying to determine what it is but I'm starting to lean that it may by ventricosa. With each new urn, waist is starting to constrict, mouth is widening and peristome flaring noticeably.

• ltecato
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I probably shouldn't have used the term Death Cube. The plants from Gublers were in round plastic pots with clear plastic cups taped over them.

• nycti
    15 years ago

Hunter,

Thank you for the list, IDing can be very hard for us newbies. Usually post pictures and/or have to wait for them to grow.

From Gublers my Nep was ID'd as a ventricosa, my Ping as a pirouette, and a VFT as common. A plant labeled as a "Sweet Pitcher Plant, Sarracenia Purpurea" appears to be a JH or a Dana's Delight. I did purchase a Purple Pitcher labeled correctly that is from Botanical Wonders.

I have tried calling Gublers to get correct ID but that was no help either. They just said it is what it is labeled to be.

Your list helps narrow it down,
    Nycti

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES