Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txcactus

leaves browning on sundews

txcactus
14 years ago

My sundews' leaves are turning brown. It's mostly just the edges. They've not been dry at all. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks!

{{gwi:564254}}

{{gwi:564255}}

Comments (18)

• txcactus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I only water them with distilled water.

• cactiman_2009
    14 years ago

It could be someting in the terracotta pot a lot of cp growers stay away from them.
    REgards Matt

• taz6122
    14 years ago

cactiman we don't stay away because of the color. lol those are plastic or some very thin pottery.

txcactus have you possibly kept them too wet? Have they been exposed to too much direct sun? How long have you had them? What is the media?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

The oldest leaves will turn brown over time. I agree with not using terracotta pots. Use plastic. Those look like d. Adelae. They look in good shape actually. You can cut out the brown stuff if you'd like.

• txcactus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These pots are plastic. I had a bad experience with clay pots so I don't use them with carnivorous plants.

These plants are several years old. I buy growing medium from Sarracenia Northwest. I have pitcher plants and fly traps that also use this soil.

They are in a window that faces southwest. Could that be the problem? They also sit in distilled water - is that too much?

Thanks for the advice!

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Powers of observation are not too good on this forum. I would say they are getting to much direct sun. They need bright light but not direct sun. If you have blinds on the window, adjust them so that very little sun shines through. If not maybe get some shade cloth to hang in the window or find a different place for the plants. I can't tell how tall the pots are but if more than 4 inches, sitting in a little water is fine.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Actually, it doesn't look like too much light at all. If it were, the leaves would be bronzed. These are quite verdant.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

This is under a shoplite:

{{gwi:550240}}

{{gwi:558781}}

This is at a window sill:

{{gwi:428437}}

{{gwi:428435}}

• txcactus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow - your plants are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

petiolaris are you sure you don't have those labeled backwards? The one you have labeled under shop lights is showing sun light and the one that says is at a window sill shows artificial light.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

I moved the containers to take the pictures.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Ah! That makes sense. Great plants.

• tamela_star
    14 years ago

Hi
    I once had a lance leaf sundew. The leaves are older and just need a trim back. You prbably already have done that. I don't have mine anymore b/c got the horrible fungus and killed it fast! : ( But your sundew looks nice!

Petiolaris- I love your sundew collection!

• stefpix
    14 years ago

same problem here -
    it got too much sun one day in august but since then the new leaves are brown too...
    In clay but all my other CP in clay are ok. just the adelae no more dew and brown dry looking leaves.
    distilled water only.

stefano

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Use plastic pots.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Clay dries too fast and can accumulate salts and minerals that will kill CPs.

• raphael_f
    8 years ago

Does anyone have any plants I can have?:)

Sponsored