Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveyjones_gw

Nepenthes Upper vs. Lower Pitchers

daveyjones
16 years ago

First of all, a few weeks ago I purchased a N. Ventricosa from sarracenia northwest, it it is doing great. It's pitchers are really interesting. The top half is red, but the bottom half where it bows out is green. A bit strange. Anyways, down to the real question...

Today I just ordered a Nepenthes x Velvet from them. They recently released a bunch of nice Nep. variations, and they were going really fast, so I thought I'd buy a new, larger plant. I digress. Everywhere I go, I see pictures of upper and lower pitchers. I tried to do some research, but couldn't find any solid answers. Now for a quick battery of questions...

1. These upper and lower traps obviously look very different, but how are they different?

2. Are there things to/conditions to provide that cause for one over the other to grow more? Or does the plant put out equal amounts?

3. Does plant age play a role in the forming of certain pitcher types?

I'm sure somebody around here knows the answer, so please, fire away!

Comments (22)

• daveyjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, and by the way, any tips on growing a N. x Velvet?

• swampthing_grower
    16 years ago

Nepenthes form lower pitchers when they are young or offshoots from the base of the plants.

Lower pitchers are always have their opening (mouth) on the same side as the tendril, and the tendril hangs straight down. Most lower pitchers are more colorful than upper pitchers and have "wings".

Nepenthes upper pitchers form on mature sections of the plant, that are of flowering age.

Nepenthes upper pitchers have their "wings" reduced to ribs and have their opening on the opposite side from the tendril, and the tendril often has a curl and/or will grasp objects to help the plant climb.
    Upper pitchers are often less colorful and can be smaller than the lower pitchers.

To keep a plant with only lower pitchers, cut the tops and keep the plant short and bushy. For a plant with upper pitchers, have patience, let it grow, and do not cut the top off.

There are species that differ, but these are the general differences in upper and lower Nepenthes pitchers.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Can you post pictures of the differences?

• swampthing_grower
    16 years ago

This is a picture of Nepenthes rafflesiana lower pitcher. The wings are difficult to make out, but they are the outer part of the pitcher where the colors are striped. Notice the tendril

{{gwi:564296}}

This is several upper pitchers of the same plant a year later. The curl in the tendril is clear on the left, unopened pitcher.
    {{gwi:564297}}

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Gads what a nice plant!

Clara

• daveyjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Any idea why they do this?

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

And here is my N. sanguinea starting the process.

This is a picture of a pitcher with the tendril half way twisted to the side, but the leaf still in front of the pitcher.

{{gwi:564298}}

This is a picture of the newest pitcher just opened and with the leaf mostly behind the pitcher... notice how it does not yet have a twisted tendril or small wings but is developing a more streamlined look.

{{gwi:564299}}

And this picture shows both pitchers side by side to show the differences in leaf positioning.

{{gwi:564300}}

Nepenthes grow different pitchers according to age of plant and due to environmental considerations. It simply does not make sense for the plant to grow short squat heavy pitchers up high if their is nothing to help with supporting those heavy pitchers, so it makes more gracile pitchers up high with twining tendrils to grasp objects. There is also likely a difference in the prey items the plant captures at different altitudes since higher leaves are likely to encounter flying insects while lower leaves will likely trap more crawling insects. The wings are indicative of that since crawling insects would find the wings an easy method of climbing up to their deaths. Flying insects need no such wings to help them climb so they just land on the lid and eventually fall in the pitchers of the higher leaves.

• poolboy101
    16 years ago

So are these pitchers a good indicator that your plant is at flowering maturity? I have no idea how old my Nepenthes ventricosa x spectabilis is, but it made its first upper pitcher. (I think)

Am I right?
    {{gwi:564301}}
    {{gwi:564302}}

• swampthing_grower
    16 years ago

Poolboy101,
    Your plant looks very healthy, but it is still young. There are intermediate type pitchers that can be produced by Nepenthes and your plant is doing just that.
    Note the straight tendrils and the frilled wings on your plants pitcher. Mature Nepenthes usually produce a vinelike growth with stem showing in between the leaves as well.
    Nepenthes are often grown from stem cuttings, and those plants will often produce a mix of pitcher types while re-starting the more typical growth process.

• daveyjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have noticed on my N. Ventricosa that as each new leaf grows, it initially starts rolled up, and then unrolls and the next leaf is starting near the opening of the roll. Is this how all nepenthes grow? And do they just keep stacking themselves up with each new leaf produced?

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Can you tell from this {{gwi:547540}}pic if these plants have upper or lower pitchers?

• swampthing_grower
    16 years ago

daveyjones,
    Yes, Nepenthes leaves all start rolled and then open. When young they just stack up, as the plants age most will form some stem in between leaves.

petiolaris,
    The N. sanguinea is still producing juvinile lower pitchers. Your N. ventricosa is looking like it has uppers and is large enough to flower, N. ventricosa usually flower in the spring.
    Most forms of N. sanguinea are larger plants than N. ventricosa, so it will need to get some size (several feet) on it before you will see flowers.
    Your plants look nice and healthy!

• swampthing_grower
    16 years ago

Petiolaris,

Looking at your Nepenthes again I see a miss identification on my part.
    Is your larger pitchered Nepenthes a hybrid? N. x 'Judith Finn' possibly?

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I have two ventratas and one Judith Finn in that planter.

• daveyjones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If your nepenthes is a cutting, and seems to be growing upper pitchers, will it ever product lower pitchers?

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Yes, it will produce lower pitchers if you cut it down.
    - Adrian

• entwadumela
    16 years ago

Hey Swampthing Grower-

Are those your raffs in your pics? If so, the lower pitcher is awesome. Any chance its a gigantea?

If so, can I PM you regarding that plant?

Thanks and Good Growing,
    E

• swampthing_grower
    16 years ago

petiolaris,
    Well I'm consistent if nothing else!

E,
    Yes, they are N. rafflesiana. They are the same tc clones distributed by AgristartsIII, in Eustis Florida. They were put into tc by the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. They should be one of the most commonly distributed forms of this species by now.
    You may PM me, but I am just learning my way around this forum, so don't be dissapointed if I take a few days to find it.

• entwadumela
    16 years ago

Hiya Swampthing Grower-

I tried to send you an e-mail through Garden Web and unfortunately you do not receive e-mail through them.

If you don't mind, could you e-mail me?

My e-mail addy is: bohdisatfa@aol.com

I'd like to ask you about your N. raffs you have pictured.

Good Growing,
    E

• epiphanylemonade
    16 years ago

{{gwi:564303}}

A photo of the new plant at the base of the original. I wasn't sure how to attach photos.

• Bukui Zhao
    3 years ago

Upper pitchers should be larger than lower pitcher. My nepenthes jamban and nepenthes inermis has upper pitchers than lower pitcher,also nepenthes dubia.

• Bukui Zhao
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just to give you more description, a nepenthes lower pitcher are produced before the plant starts to climb and usually sit on the ground. Upper pitchers are produced when the plant starts to vine and/or climb. A common misconception is that lower pitchers are larger than upper pitchers, although that may be sometimes true but in most cases uppers are larger than the lowers and may be more or less colorful depending on the variety. Nepenthes upper pitchers usually have ribs instead of wings and may have different features than the lowers. Some nepenthes may have purely lower pitchers or purely upper pitchers, but most have lower and upper pitchers. Some nepenthes like nepenthes flava may attract different prey depending on the lower and uppers and lowers. Some nepenthes like nepenthes lowii have upper pitchers that serve completely different purposes than lower pitchers.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH