Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claritamaria

Growing roots on Ping

claritamaria
16 years ago

I have a very large ping (standard Mexican Hybrid) that was give to me. It has not been doing well. The outer leaves are browning/dying. It's really 2 adult pings together. Needs a division. Upon further inspection, the ping really has no roots. I know they don't have much in the way of a root system.

At this point it is trying to flower. I cut it. It has no "stick". What can I do to stimulate root growth? Should I try to divide it? Leave it? Its just perching on top of the media. I have in very good light and heat.

Thanks

Clara

Comments (6)

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

I would just leave them since repotting will shock them.
    And since it is really weak now it will likey die if you repot it.Just give it alot of attention and cut back on the heat and light.It could also be root rot.The soil should be moist,not soggy.
    - Adrian

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

If the Pinguicula has no roots, they might have already rotted and broken off. In any event, Pinguicula have small root systems that die back in winter for some species. They should be kept in just moist soil with no tray and lots of good drainage in their medium. They are very prone to root rot. Maybe petiolaris has some advice on Pinguicula care to add. He has lots of them doing well.

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! No bottom watering for pings. I have kept it damp but not like my other carnivours. I would suspect root rot. The source that gave it to me is notorious for root rot. It had some brown leaves when I received it. What a shame. Its a big beauty. How far back do I cut the light? I am a high light grower. Its sitting in a W. window with an 85w CFL. I have very high natural humidity in this room 70%+. I find that my pings lose their colour and stick when I have them under a 23w cfl at close range or under 4 tubes. Doesn't seem to be bright enough light.

I also would like some suggestions on potting it into something else other than a plastic pot. I have a hard time not disturbing it. Its just perched on top of the medium. If I try to water it, it falls off. Would something like a square tupperware container be better for it? (I understand about drainage. That's what a drill is for!) Maybe "mound" the medium? Is Spag any good for rehabbing a ping?

Temps? Can anyone address temps now that the weather is changing in z-5. I am taking advantage of the cooler nights for my orchids. I do a lot of rehab work with orchids. I put plastic around them. Does this work with pings? What about a folar feeding with Superthrive or KLN rooting hormone? How easy are they to bring back once they lose their roots?

Gee I have a lot of questions! :-) TYIA

Clara

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Butterworts tend to prefer light of about 6000-12000 lumens. Indirect sun in a window or under a fairly shaded area outside would work. They need light, but not direct sun. As a reference, direct sun would be about 30000-50000 lumens.

I have read accounts of rooting hormone use on Butterworts and it seems that it does little to help the plants recover and grow better, potentially worsening the situation.

If the leaves are remaining green and new leaves are growing in, then the plant will possibly recover on its own if it is left alone to regrow roots in a stable environment.

Try a small cage of toothpicks stuck in the moss around the plant to just give it stability for now until it has a chance to regrow roots. After that, just give it water, light, time, and leave it alone to do what nature intended it to do.

I have no idea how easy it is to bring back a Butterwort with no roots, however; they tend to loose their roots in Winter and regrow them in Spring. Mexican Pings tend to undergo dry dormancies in Winter and might go dormant at almost any time. If the plant looks like it is not improving, you might make a last ditch effort to induce dormancy by lessening the photoperiod by an hour a week down to 8 per day, lowering the humidity a bit, and letting the soil dry completely. This will cause the plant to produce a small winter rossette. That might kick start it and get it to regrow when you bring it back out of dormancy in a couple months.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I would provide the best conditions you can and let them acclimate. Too much tinkering can set them back. Mexican pings normally DO have a roots system, just not that extensive.

I water them from around the pots and do so when the water in the trays are nearly dry... which is maybe once or twice a week.

Generally speaking, the less water there is available, the more incentive there is for a plant to seek water out, thus extending and developing roots.

Mexican butterworts like to have all 4 seasons, though not too cold. I had mine on window sills in an unheated stairway, where the winter temps got into the 40's. Most of them put out winter rosettes and in the spring, they went into growth mode. They did very well when I just had a screen window, letting in diffused sunlight, a slight upgrade from just a window pane.

Here are updated pics since we moved:

{{gwi:564346}}

• corymbosa
    16 years ago

Clara, what mix is your plant in? If it's a standard peat:sand mix I'd be inclined to put the plant in a different mix (Don't worry about root disturbance. By the sounds of it your plant has no roots to disturb). Some people get good results growing Mexican Pings in high peat content mixes but I doubt I'm the first person to think its too easy to rot plants in them. As for appropriate media, Sphagnum is good. It's free draining, holds moisture without staying waterlogged and is fairly easy to judge when it needs watering. It's also loose enough to transplant Pings without disturbing the roots. A lot of European growers use quite gritty mixes (see the link below). I've seen these used with outstanding results and I have no doubt that they can be preferable to sphagnum but I find it difficult to determine when these mixes need watering.
    Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Pinguicula culture notes (Pinguicula.org)

Sponsored