Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmach_gw

What is happening to my VFT soil?

jmach
15 years ago

I repotted my original VFT in June using soil for VFTs that has pieces of foam (at least I think that's what it is) in it - I got my Red Dragon flytrap from the same place I got the soil from, so both plants have the same type of soil. As I was trimming dead traps today, I noticed that the pieces of foam had little brown bumpy things on them. Is this something that will happen to the foam over time? I am kind of worried because though my green VFT seems to be doing alright, I have noticed more blackened traps than usual on it lately, and my Red Dragon just looks poor (but it has never really looked that great). Is this a fungus or something that needs to be taken care of?

I only use distilled water, and they had been on a windowsill in my house with a fluorescent light until the middle of August when I moved to school - I decided to put them outside hoping they would grow more. Rainwater is the only other water that they've had, as we've had quite a bit of rain lately. I have been tempted to move them back inside because I assume they are not getting enough light (the Red Dragon at least). They're on an east-facing deck with a tree in front of it, but the light isn't too bad out there. The temperatures have ranged from about 40-80 the last couple of weeks.

Thanks, I'd appreciate any help you can give!

{{gwi:564426}}

{{gwi:564427}}

{{gwi:564429}}

{{gwi:564431}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH