Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

My only Sarracenia - Thought I'd share

bluebonsai101
14 years ago

Last Feb I decided to get a Sarracenia purpurea after doing some reading as it seemed about the easiest to grow for my conditions. I got a nice bare root plant and put it in 1:1 peat:perlite as seen on many sites, put it in full sun and let it have rain all summer (we have had massive amounts of rain this summer). Since it seems to be quite happy I thought I would post a pic even though it is very common :o) Dan

{{gwi:564504}}

Comments (12)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Looks very healthy. Good job.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I was surprised by how large it got in one summer. When it arrived it had 4 old traps so I expected much less, but I'm not familiar with these so a very pleasant surprise. The wonderful red color is what sold me to get one and I have not been disappointed!! Maybe I will try a second one next summer, but I'm not a fan of the tall thin ones I've seen in the pics. Are there any other low growing ones like this? :o) Dan

• woodnative
    14 years ago

Hey Dan!
    Nice job......but you grow a lot of nice plants! I love Sars and esp. some of the long thin ones. However, there are plenty of short ones. 'Cobra Nest' is low and dnese. There are lot of cutlivars in the "bug" series ('Red Bug', 'Ladybug' etc.) that are readily available and that you may like. S. psitacina is a low growing species, as is S. rosea. You may also get an anthocyanin free S. purpurea heterophylla for contrast witn your nice red plant.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

See anything that interests you here?

{{gwi:552004}}

{{gwi:564505}}

{{gwi:562526}}

{{gwi:564506}}

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Petiolaris, Wow, quite the collection you have there!! I looked at the photobucket link and it looks like the one is the cobra nest mentioned by woodnative?

Woodnative, I will have to look into the Bug series that you mentioned as well the form lacking red for next year......I have never looked into these before to be honest but was getting a VFT from someone and mentioned the Saracenia purpurea and he tossed in a crown because he was a great guy....now I love it. Any thoughts on inexpensive, but well grown plants to possibly purchase next year would be appreciated.....by me, not my wife!!

By the way, my winter care after doing some reading will be to put them in my attached garage (35-40F) and hang a CF over them with 8 hrs of light/day for the winter (I'll keep them outside as long as we stay above freezing during the days)....kept only moist as they start to dry out....sound about right to everyone?

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it being a newbie to this class of plants :o) Dan

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Temps in the garage sound good. The light is not necessary when dormant but it wouldn't hurt anything either. You might just use it for the first couple of weeks if there is still good plant tissue above the ground. It sounds like you know what you're doing. Keep up the good work and happy growing.

• woodnative
    14 years ago

Hey Dan-
    I second taz6122 that the light is not necessary during dormancy. It won't hurt, maybe help a little, but it is not necessary. I am in a similar situation to you in north/central NJ. My plants stay out until late October or early November...experiencing some light frosts but brought in my attached garage before a really hard freeze and stay in there until April or so, where they go outside and soon bloom. As far as getting more plants inexpensively......trading is always good (hint hint).

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

They don't need it to be dormant, but it's nice to have it so that it knows when to wake up. That and increasing temps... the usual cues to break dormancy.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

It knowing when to wake up isn't going to have anything to do with artificial light. More than likely there will be nothing above the surface to sense that light until temps stay high enough for it to wake up. Then it will be time to get it out of the garage anyway.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys, I guess I was under the impression that they may not lose all their pitchers and so light would be useful, but if it is not necessary then trust me I'd rather not go to the trouble!!

Woodnative, what are you looking for? I do not have bug eaters as I said, but next spring I would have some Amaryllids in all likelihood like Hippi. striatum, Rauhia decora, perhpas an offset of a Stenomesson, maybe some other things like a Haemanthus. If you want seed of Ammocharis coranica from a really nice clone (it produced 3 flower spikes from a bulb only 8cm in diameter this summer) I might have more seed in the future......I selfed it recently and it appears to be forming pods so I just need to keep it going far enough into the fall to let them ripen. I'll have seed of Cyphostemma juttae soon as well.....they take forever to germinate though.

Thanks for everyones help on this for a newbie :o) Dan

• stefpix
    14 years ago

wow I love the ones in the last photo and the ones in the left in the 2nd group photo and the ones on the right in the 1st photo.
    what are those?
    I grow some Droseras and Ping in my apt ... I could get a Sarracenia purpurea at lowes for $5 or soemthing else at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden... Do they require dormncy? I live in an apt so no garage nor sunrooms...
    What are my options to grow a Sarracenia? anyone up for a trade? have an extra Ping moctezumae...

stefano

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Sarracenias do indeed require a dormancy. Most people are waiting for dormancy to set in or be over before sending plants in trades. Seeds are more avalailable right now, though.

Sponsored