Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weak pitchers Sarracenia

Posted by gentoo_1980 none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 19:50

Hiya I've bought a Sarracenia three months ago and read up lots on how to take care of it. It's been doing great but today I noticed two new pitchers that are really weak, They're paper thin. They're stood upright but the hood caves in a little at the top as it's so weak. It even has creases on the sides of the pitchers.

The two pitchers are new and are bigger than any produced this year. There's also an older pitcher that's gone the same way.

I did manage to get some fertilizer on it 10 days ago when watering another plant but soaked the pitchers in water three times and rinsed the soil out three times. I wasn't a lot of fertilizer I don't think. Could this have caused it?

It's getting enough light, I don't think I'm over watering it. I've always had it sat in a bowl, half filled with water. I allow to drain and then refill.

It's outside in my yard but doesn't catch many bugs. I went to the pet shop a month ago for some meal worms but they were sold out and haven't been back uptown since. My first thought was that it was producing weak pitchers as it's malnourished but can't find the answer on google so have come here for help.

Sorry I can't upload a photo and don't know what type it is.

Thank you for reading this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weak pitchers Sarracenia

Post a photo. SOME Sarracenias do flop over this time of year. Flava for instance.

o
RE: weak pitchers Sarracenia

It's hard to say what type of Sarracenia you have. It could be the frequently sold hybrids like Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' or S. 'Scarlette Belle', or Sarracenia purpurea. But recently long tube Sarracenia flava/oreophilia hybrids, S. Minor & S. rubra have been sold.

But they all suffer a problem when they don't receive adequate lighting. I'm assuming when you say they are big, by that you mean they are long & somewhat spindly? With big alas? When the plant isn't receiving enough light, they can grow too tall & the leaf very thin & weak.

Without a photo, it's hard to know what's wrong with your plant. It could be the fertilizer that did it, but we won't know. I agree with "tommyr". See if you can post a picture, we may even identify it for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here