Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

VFT winter light requirements mulching?

m_taggart
16 years ago

So here's my question. I'm in Raleigh, NC and I'll be growing VFTs outdoors starting in October. I know this probably isn't the best time to begin, but I'm impatient. I have an unheated basement with zero light. Would it be better to keep the VFTs in the unheated basement with no light, or keep them outside on a south facing balcony uncovered or with some sort of mulching? If mulch, what is appropriate? They will be growing in pots. Should I surround the pots completely to protect the sides and top? I have a tendency to underestimate the tenacity of plants which results in over-watering and over-mulching. How "negligent" can I be with these in the winter? I know that during the growing season they require constant moisture, but how much can they dry out during the winter. I'm assuming that b/c they can be kept in the fridge they do not require photosynthesis during dormancy, but if they are kept outside should they be kept from drying out. At this point I'm rambling with questions so I leave this as bait.

Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?