Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dranomax

Nephenthes talangensis and Temperate?

dranomax
16 years ago

I was wondering if it would be successel to mix a Talangensis in with my other plants, such as the purpea and red dragon in a terrarium. I would mix a the special soil this Nephenthes would need and surround where I plant it with it. The temperatures and humidity seem like they would fluctuate pretty close to what is needed, including in the winter time. Would this be possible?

Comments (4)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello drainomax,

Mixing temperates and tropicals in a terrarium just makes more work for you and makes life harder for the temperate plants. The Nepenthes might enjoy the terrarium as long as you can ensure it will drain well to keep root rot down. The Red Dragon Flytrap and Purple Pitcher Plant (if that is what you are indicating by purpurea as their is a Utricularia purpurea too) would be better off in open pots outside if possible. They need far more sun than the Nepenthes, different soil, different watering arrangement, and suffer from attacks of mold in stagnant high humidity terrariums too often (they do well in low humidity and do not require terrariums). Some people make the decision and do it anyways, and some succeed, but most times, about 99.99 percent of the time, the experiment ends in failure as the plants die one by one. Trust me on that, 31 years ago I tried to keep a bunch of North American carnivorous plants indoors in a terrarium and they all died rather quickly.

Another problem would be the temperature since in winter the North American plants will need to go dormant with consistent temperatures under 50 degrees and short photoperiods while the Nepenthes would not.

The Nepenthes mix would be fine for the Nepenthes in the terrarium but the North American, and any other non-Nepenthes carnivorous plants, would not like the substances that leech out of Nepenthes mix if you use coconut husk and bark with peat moss. If you just mixed one part peat with two parts perlite and surrounded the Nepenthes with it other tropical carnivores would not be sickened by it. In any case, make sure to get really good drainage in the terrarium or just set the pots in their and use the terrarium for humidity.

The Nepenthes you are getting would prefer a temperature drop at night down to about 60 or even 50 degrees. The Sarracenia and Venus Flytrap do not require those temperature drops except in winter, never in the growing season. Also, try to ensure the terrarium gets good ventilation and air movement from a small terrarium fan to reduce stagnation and mold growth on the Nepenthes.

The Nepenthes talengensis is a moderately difficult Nepenthes to grow.

• dranomax
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All right thanks for the info. I would love to grow my plants outside, but I live in southern Utah where the summers are really hot and the winters are very cold. I think the highest the humidity gets out here is under 20%. I'm pretty sure it would still be possible to grow them outside, but I'll leave that for a future time.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Yeah, Utah would be a bit rougher for your plants, but it still might be possible with oversized water trays like petiolaris uses. Those that reach just over the pot in depth with 1-2 inches of water in the bottom. That would give good humidity boosts without stagnation. Temepratures over 100 would be bad too. A good sunny window and open pot is about the best you can do with your North American plants for now other than possibly getting supplemental florescents to put over them.

• dranomax
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Interesting, I'll have to take a look at those pots. thanks for the ideas.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!