Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Ping propagation: Gotta share this

ltecato
14 years ago

OK, all you long-time growers are going to respond to this by muttering "Well, duh!" but I wanted to pass this on for the benefit of any who don't already know.

Over the past year my Mexican pings (not sure of species, probably moranensis or agnata or a hybrid) have been growing quite well, often producing offsets or divisions.

A couple weeks ago I was separating some of the offsets to put them in their own pots. One thing about these pings: The oldest leaves fall off with barely a nudge when you handle them. So after I was done repotting, I had a bunch of leaves littering my work area.

Rather than throw them away, I dropped them into a terrarium that I use as kind of a sick bay or nursery for my carnivores. It has a nice gritty CP soil mix in it.

What amazed me is that nearly all the leaves have already produced little plantlets. I've been growing various plants for a long time, and I've never seen leaf cuttings sprout so fast. Some cactus pads or succulent leaves will do the same thing, but in my experience I usually have to wait at least a month to see any roots. Faster than African violet leaves as well.

Anyway, I just had to blurt that out. Considering how difficult some carnivores can be, it's nice to know one thing that's so easy to accomplish.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH