Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hottielover14

10 Gal CP terrarium set up

hottielover14
16 years ago

Hey everybody its been a while since ive posted a thread on here. I have been raising plants for 10 years, anything from Cacti to fruits/veggies to tropicals to CP's. I bought a 10 gal aquarium that im gonna use as a terrarium and Im gonna put it in my 3 tier greenhouse under my 4x40W bulbs. Im gonna put tropical Neps in it and some VFT's. I have read the debate on growing VFT's but im gonna give them circulation and not to high of humidity but enough for the Neps to survive.

The lighting is nowhere near the sun but it should be enough also since the terrariums not that deep. I have a peat/perlite mix already but Im not sure how i should set it up. Im not sure if i wanna use my peat/perlite mix for the substrate or egg crates or a hybrid of both. I was thinking maybe putting my VFT's on the egg crates so I can take them out for dormacy or should I just keep them in there pots in the substrate without the egg crates? what do you guys think i should do? what are some terrarium styles that can be used for CP's with a subsrate or egg crate?

thanks

Comments (9)

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Hello Hottielover!
    How is your vanilla? Funny to run into you on this forum.!

Clara
    From the orchid forum

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

The more depth you can provide the better. I use buckets for VFT's, Sarracenias, and other dormancy type plants. Here's a visual:

{{gwi:430819}}

{{gwi:430817}}

{{gwi:547797}}

{{gwi:430150}}

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hi hottielover14,

The 4 40 watt florescent tubes are what I use on my indoors Venus Flytrap and it needs to be about 1-2 inches from the lights just to develop color and close decently enough to catch flies on its own. I grow mine open pot though. In any case, if you really want to try them in a terrarium, the air circulation should help. I would keep them in their pots so I could just pull them up and get them into dormancy separately from the Nepenthes if I were to try growing them in such a terrarium. The setup can work, it just takes far more work than setting them out in the sun or placing them in a bright window with supplemental lights and is not guaranteed to produce healthy plants. The Nepenthes should love it though.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Clara, Hey long time no talk. what are u doing on this forum? lol my vanilla is doing good! its getting pretty long. I bent the top down to go down my post cuz it was getting so long and now it made another shoot develop out of the top lol so i have 2 shoots growing out of the top. but the original one is browning.

Mutant,

ok and that wont burn them at all? well I was thinking about maybe just putting 1 in my terrarium and just growing the other 2 out of the terrarium under the lights tho. but still growing the Neps and maybe a tropical sundew in my terrarium. I was thinking about just planting the Neps and Sundew directly in the terrarium since they dont require a dormacy period and it looks more natural. I was gonna use some egg crate and make a lil waterfall or pond but I dont think that would look good. Natural looks the best! what do you think?

Any suggestions on smaller Neps that would work in a 10G? I have a bigger terrarium but i dont wanna put that back up, the one i had my dart frogs in so i got a smaller 10G.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

hottielover14,

It will not burn them unless you are talking about incandescent light. Florescent light is cool enough to touch with your bare hand, maybe 90 degrees or so. An inch from Flytraps is not going to hurt them. Take a look at these:

{{gwi:564893}}

The adult is barely an inch from the florescent tubes and takes a few days to develop red coloration. Even then, the traps are still a bit slow compared to those that get real sun. Actual sunlight would provide about three or more times the intensity, and ultraviolet light, as those puny florescent lights.

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok thanks mutant. beautiful VFT's by the way. do you have any other CPs?

Im thinking about getting an N. Philippinenis and N. Reinwardtiana for my 10G terrarium for now. there tropical and should work good. Im gonna plant them in the soil. what does everybody think?

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Thanks hottielover14, I have some tropical sundews, a Nepenthes sanguinea, a bunch of baby hybrid Sarracenias and a Sarracenia rubra to go with my Venus Flytraps. I have to grow them all indoors under those 4 40 watt shop light tubes right now.

Drosera spatulata clump in 5 inch pot.

{{gwi:564894}}

Drosera adelae forest in 6 inch pot, the progeny that cloned from a single plant about 10 months ago.

{{gwi:564895}}

Drosera capensis, a sundew that gives the term carnivorous new meaning. This plant single handedly caught and ate 7 flies in one day.

{{gwi:564896}}

Drosera graminifolia or, the Brazilian Grass Sundew that gives mosquitos nightmares.

{{gwi:564897}}

Sarracenia hybrid seedlings about 6 months old.

{{gwi:564898}}

Recently repotted, they are suddenly putting on a growth spurt. Still a far cry from the foot or more adult size they will attain in about 4-5 years.

{{gwi:564899}}

Sarracenia rubra about a foot tall.

{{gwi:564901}}

Nepenthes sanguinea recently repotted in 8 inch pot. The roots are only 2-3 inches long, but the plant has grown from 3 inches across to about a foot across with 5 inch pitchers in about 8 months. It is loosing a few older pitchers at this time.

{{gwi:564902}}

{{gwi:564905}}

Peat moss and perlite would be OK for your plants, however; Nepenthes would prefer a well drained mix of two parts perlite to one part peat, or one part each of peat, coconut husk, and orchid bark, like my sanguinea is growing in. They need very well drained medium that still maintains moisture without promoting stagnant conditions. Venus flytraps would prefer one part peat to one part perlite and damper conditions than the Nepenthes.

• drwurm
    16 years ago

Wow, mutant, your capensis kicks my capensis' a**, i hand feed it ants, and they get away sometimes...

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

drwurm:

I did notice a couple flies that were just too wily and managed to escape every plant they came near, almost getting caught twice in the D. capensis, but eluding capture in the end.

You can see five of the flies in this photo, two others are hidden by leaf curls. Mine is a typical variety Broad Leaf. Ants are strong for their size and can often escape sundews. Once a fly gets its wings caught it is finished.

{{gwi:564906}}