Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gre4pr

In Need of Help

gre4pr
10 years ago

I need help. i have no idea whats going on its starting a new shoot, but the tip looks like its dying. This is a DeRoose Alata

Comments (21)

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic 2

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic 3

• hunterkiller03
    10 years ago

Well, to have a better idea for people to help you. You have to say if you repotted it or still growing in the same pot when your purchased your plant. For how long you have your plant?

If repotted, what soil you are using? What water you are using to water your plant, like distilled, rain-water, R/O water, tap water. And how often.

It depends also where your plant is located. It affects how much light its getting. Or is hit by the draft of air vents.

Such detail are crucial to have better idea what's wrong with your plant. It could also be it is in shock after your received it, a change of climate from the nursery to your home will have detrimental affect to your plant.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I received it June 10th. It is in a peat perlite mix. Has sphagnum moss top dressing. Have not repotted. Still in 4 inch pot. Use rain water exclusively. Temp and humidity is same inside and out. It comes in at dusk as it has for over a month. For supplemental lighting. It had a bagworm eat a lid off one pitcher my flytrap ate it. It is drenched every 2-3 days. It has today sprouted yet another offshoot and one that looks like it is climbing the vine also. All the other leaves look as they did when the sprouted. Still growing new pitchers. Produces A LOT of sap to the point it drips on the floor. Everything seems fine except the last leaf and the new one. The last leaf hasn't even unrolled and the new one has already aborted it pitcher and started turning black. Anything else you might need to know just let me know. This is my first nepenthes but not first cp. Thank you for any help in advance.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bottom left pitcher in last pic is the one with no lid btw

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Check for insects? That's the only thing I can think of right now. sounds like you're doing every thing else right.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It only had the one issue with bagworms and the flytrap took care of it. There is a colony of ants that love it during the day. Could it be a change in the temps and the cold rain we got. After the rain it dipped into the 60s after being in the mid 80s now its in the 70s. What do I need to do about the last two leaves. Could that be caused by buying a trimmed older plant? I don't know if that happened but it is possible. And can the new leaves be a sign of it dying? I have everything else down to a fine art with it and even thinking of getting a cape sundew and nepenthes rafflenasia giant form next February. I don't want another though if this is the easiest and it is dying. Also later will show pics of babies growing or what I think are babies and to see if it is one growing on the original vine. And thank you again for all the help.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm just did a figure here and it says zone 6 always send it in 7b before sorry if that makes a difference

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

For now just keep an eye on it. I'd wait a while. These can not be allowed to get too cold so if it's outside keep and eye on the temps. i wouldn't say it's dying just yet!

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Been keeping an eye on it and it has never been under 65 I have a thermometer and hygrometer right next to it in the house where it stays and the humidity gets down to 68 and usually its just shy of 80. The temp in the house because I have it hanging it stays about a constant 70-75. It has been in this shape for a week just thought the second to newest leaf was deformed or something but then when this last leaf came out prematurely I have been keeping an eye on it. And only 12 hours after the last leaf came out the pitcher looked like it does in pic 1. But it is not aborting previous pitchers still forming. And from what I gather as long as your leaves look good and its pitchering its happy. But something is definitely not right.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Been keeping an eye on it and it has never been under 65 I have a thermometer and hygrometer right next to it in the house where it stays and the humidity gets down to 68 and usually its just shy of 80. The temp in the house because I have it hanging it stays about a constant 70-75. It has been in this shape for a week just thought the second to newest leaf was deformed or something but then when this last leaf came out prematurely I have been keeping an eye on it. And only 12 hours after the last leaf came out the pitcher looked like it does in pic 1. But it is not aborting previous pitchers still forming. And from what I gather as long as your leaves look good and its pitchering its happy. But something is definitely not right.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the babies not sure but it looks like one is forming and going up the original vine.

• hunterkiller03
    10 years ago

There is something I have experienced tree times already, twice from a complex hybrid called N alata var. Elongata & once with N. rafflesiana forms. The tip dies for some reason, but there is a new tip growing from the base.

It has left me scratching my head what the devil happened.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well mine I've come to the conclusion has to be a DeRoose Alata due to it being sold as 'Alata' which has been confusing for many for a while. How long did it take the tip to die? This one is putting out a new leaf today and the leaves are becoming smaller and smaller. So far the pitcher look healthy as could be. Even have one that's dripping nectar right now. Thinking about just leaving it in the house at this point. And how long had your babies made it or still going strong?

• hunterkiller03
    10 years ago

I'm familiar with that particular cultivar, used to have it several years ago. My cat ate it (stupid cat!).

Here's something if you don't know about this particular plants:
    Deroose Alata. It is a complex hybrid N. alata x (alata x ventricosa)developed by Deroose Nursery in Netherlands & is being sold, often in ebay as N. 'Alata' red & people confuse it with the true N. alata.

The same confusion happens with N. x ventrata, it is often sold & confused with N. ventricosa. I've bought plants that are being sold as ventricosa & to my disappointment turns out to be N. x ventrata. So most people thinking they have a ventricosa, are more likely to have a N ventricosa x burkei hybrid.

My alata is also a

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea that's what happened to me paid $20 for an alata got to reading and research hung and found it to be DeRoose a late but oh well I'm still happy other than this crazy stuff happening. Update on new leaf bright green edge but still looks like the last two.

• hunterkiller03
    10 years ago

One more thing.

I made a mistake on my last comment. regarding ventricosa. Most ventricosa sold to the public is a hybrid between N ventricosa & N burkei. I goofed during editing my comment.

Still your plant is beautiful, it makes intense red pitchers.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea one of the peristones is almost black it even gets red blotches on the inside of the pitcher. Haven't figured out how to get a pic of it yet. Part of the reason I'm trying to keep the poor thing going. Looks like I have a total of 3 basal shoots and they are showing no signs of slowing. How do they fair in windowsill during the 0-20 that's putting a harsh winter in there. Is there anything I could do to maybe get it to snap out of this bad spot? Newest leaf coming out is taking longer than usual, but actually has some nice bright green on it now. They seem to be getting slightly better and better. But it was in a lot of sunlight spread throughout the day so it never burned. How can I acclimate that?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I would just give it bright, indirect Sun. A foot or so away from the window.

Early morning or late afternoon Sun is O.K.

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

K thanx

• gre4pr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well thank everyone I'm up to five basal shoots and three stem shoots near the growth tip so I'm guessing all is good though no new pitchers have formed and two are now half dead but I'll leave them until they're completely gone unless it accelerates the death of the pitcher.

Sponsored