Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pH musings

Posted by don555 3a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 4:25

I bought a bunch of pH test strips, which arrived today, so I have been testing the pH of various things carnivorous. I bought two kinds of pH strips - a full-range strip that uses the 3-pad process to give accurate readings to the nearest full pH unit (from 1 to 14), and a more precise strip that measures pH between 4.0 and 7.0, with an accuracy of 0.4 pH unit.
Do other folks measure pH? Do my numbers seem reasonable for CPs? ...I thought the pH would be a bit lower in natural habitats, but maybe not?

Anyway, here goes:
pH of my tapwater: about 7.0 (and I know it is loaded with dissolved solids, ie, my tapwater is bad water)

pH of the last remaining jug of snowmelt from last winter (ie at least 6 months old): 4.8-5.2 (hey, I've got acid-snow!)

pH of drainage water from our roof, collected around June-July: 4.8-5.2 ... but this has higher dissolved solids than snowmelt, since the roofwater grows algae in a room lit by fluorescent lights, but the snowmelt grows nothing even after 6 months.

pH of the growing medium of my B52 flytraps, set up 1-2 weeks previous: 4.4-4.8

pH of my smaller pot of outdoor flytraps (several year old growing medium): around 5.0

pH of my big terrarium of flytraps (several year old growing medium): about 4.8

The growth medium is clearly on the acid side (as it should be), but I expected it to be much more acid, like around pH 4.0 or so. But I'm not sure why I say that, as I haven't found much info about the recommended soil pH for carnivorous plants.

Anyone else out there measuring pH?, and if so, what are your thoughts? Thanks,

-Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pH musings

The typical pH levels that many carnivorous plants, like the Venus Flytrap, live in would be 3.0-5.0. Anything in that range is fine. I don't measure my soil pH, but peat moss that has no additives should measure within that range naturally.

o

Hi Don,

I grow most of my carnivorous plants outdoors during warm weather (May - September, 5 months). My Sarracenia stay outdoors all winter in my USDA Zone 5 artificial bog. The Drosera, Dionaea, and Heliamphora spend the winter indoors.

My bog pH is 6.8, TDS 36. Indoors, I use RO water with a pH of 6.7, TDS 17. My bog is completely composed of long fiber sphagnum moss and is filled by rain water (naturally occuring, I seldom fill the bog myself).

I use a Hanna model #eHep pH meter. Accuate to 0.1 pH.

Hope this helps.

Tom

o

Thanks for the responses.

Tom, I'm surprised your Sarr. do well at almost neutral pH, but I guess the low dissolved solids must help with that. Anyway, sounds like my pH should be fine.

Don

o

I have been testing my water for years because of my koi ponds. My well water comes out of the ground at a pH of 5.5 to 6.0, with no hardness or alkalinity at all. VERY soft water. Great for the bog garden, a little trickier for the koi though. When I built the bog, I made the mistake of cementing in a couple of concrete blocks with flagstones on top to I could access the center part of the bog. i was so afraid the alkalinity from the cement would hurt the bog, but that didn't happen. The bog did fantastic this year with everythig growing like mad and even blooming. I love my bog!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here