Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am i?

Posted by angellilly (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 5:42

So i have this sarracenia that looks like a leucophylla hybrid of some sort.I know iding is kinda difficult coz there is so much hybridisation but im slightly curious:
Photobucket
(crappy photo i know...) the plant gets about 4-5 hours direct sunlight but it doesnt get any redder (only the throat gets an intense red) and in fact the white windows in it are getting whiter(!)is it a hindle hybrid??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am i?

After having posted several photos of similar looking plants, this summer, the experts in the field don't want any part of trying to IDing them as a any particular cultivar or hybrid. So I've been told to call them all, S. leucophylla. Here's what I mean:

S. leucophylla

S. leucophylla

S. leucophylla

o

ugh...so its hopeless, right? i know leycophylla and hybrids have the same cultivation requirements but a name to go with that plant would be nice... :-/

o

4-5 hours of sun isn't engough. THEY NEED ALL DAY TO GET RED!!!

o
they need all day to get red!!!

Hey petio, why didn't you point out the full sun thing? You certainly would have if it was me!

o

Taz: Looks like sdcps caught my gloss. LOL! And yes, I would certainly have jumped all over you! Seriously, it may not be apparent from the written word, but I'm just teasin' ya.

o

ehmmmm,sorry guys but this is all i can give it...at least pitchers are upright not leaning(unless they are full of bugs).... :-(

o

Full sun means sunrise to sunset and that's what it needs in order to ID it properly or even close. I feel sorry for the plant. It should be going dormant soon. As it starts producing fall leaves back off on the water some. Fall leaves wont open and have a curl to them. They should stay fairly flat like a blade of grass but slightly thicker.

o

Oh, no worries taz its not my first pitcher plant!I had a purpurea and another leucophylla.purpurea died the same year i got it (bug problem i didnt notice until too late).This one in the pic i have for almost 3 years,its not very colorful i know but is growing like a weed;lots of offsets,roots all over the place and i repotted it in a gallon pot.And it made phyllodia already!thanx for the advise!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here