Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimjim124921

VFT flowering and dormancy

slimjim124921
17 years ago

Hi, I'm a fairly new owner

Ive only had mine for about a month now.

My VFT has recently grew a very long stalk in the middle of the plant with a bud at the end, I'm sure this is a flower stalk.

Ive heard alot of scary things of what flowering in VFT's can do.

Should I cut the stalk off?

and if so, where do I cut it?

all the way at the bottum, or just the bud at the top?

If I cut it will it grow back?

are more gonna sprout out?

And my question about dormancy, well...I live in Florida, the winters arent very cold but there certanly not warm.

What exactly do I do?

Keep the soil barely wet, don't feed it, and keep it in the garage with no light?

I had to ask, it just seems a little farfetched to me.

Well, Thanks for taking the time out to read this.

-Jim

Comments (7)

• back2eight
    17 years ago

If it is a healthy plant, it is okay for it to flower. If you feel it is unhealthy for any reason then cut it off at the base. It is just that flowering takes a lot of energy and if it is unhealthy, and it will be going dormant soon, it might not have enough energy to take it through the winter. But I say leave it, it is probably fine. If it was healthy enough to flower in the first place then it is probably going to do good. Mine didn't flower this year but the cats got ahold of them and really did a number on my plants and I'm thinking I'm going to lose some of them this winter because of that. I wish the plants would eat the cats...

I am in Mississippi and it doesn't get very cold here for winter either. If you are down in southern florida you may need to do something like stick the plant in the refrigerator for the winter, but if you are in the northern part then our winters are about the same, and it is enough to make them go dormant so just leave it outside. Actually last year my plant seemed to wake up and then go back to sleep several times throughout the summer as it would warm up and then get cold again. It didn't seem to harm it. It just doesn't get cold enough for long enough here.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Dormancy is a function of several variables, the most important of which is reduced photoperiod. Temperature, though important, is secondary. Also part of the whole picture is reduced water and less water.

If it were me, as a precaution, I would cut the flower off, as close to the base as possible. I wouldn't trust any VFT to survive flowering, immediately after purchasing it from a Lowes or a Home Depot or a Walmart. It is likely to be in a weakened state by the time of its purchase.

In nature, VFT's flower in the spring, following a proper dormancy. How and where are you keeping it. Is it outside or at a window sill or in a terrarium?

• slimjim124921
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm keeping the plant on a windowsill in my room.
    It's not in any tank or anything, just a pot and a saucer of water.

• xymox
    17 years ago

i would do what the guys said above. :) if you are truly wanting a chance to obtain seeds, might as well allow it to flower. if your windowsill really gives lots of nice bright/sunny light then keep growing your plant there meanwhile.

it may go dormant next following fall of 2007. your growing method sounds convincing. man.. wish i had a digital camera to take pics of my plants. one day!

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    I've tried many methods for the required dormant period a real problem for me as I'm in zone 10 lol
    All things considered I think the best is to just grow them as long as possible then get new ones in the spring.
    Treat them as annuals. The fridge method works but of course is a real hassle.
    If you have a flower why not go for some seed ?? though i would suspect it requires a cold period also. But them it's much easier to refrigerate seed than a plant.
    gary

• xymox
    17 years ago

hey Garyfla,

i'm not familiar with zone 10, Florida.
    if it's very warm during the winters, try sticking to the fridge method. it's a hassle indeed! because you must always have to expect your plants every few weeks or so, unless you use fungicide. make sure to leave your plant's soil barely moist before putting them in ziplock bags into the fridge.

venus' flytrap seeds do not need a cold stratification periond :) they can be sowned right away after harvest.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    All time record cold here was 26 for two hours lol Record low for daytime was 53 set just last year. Normal is low 60's
    During winter I have my fridge full of Iris. so space is at a premium even without the food my wife insists need to be kept in there lol Had thought of reversing the growing season for the VFT as winter would be more ideal
    But you can buy new plants for a couple of bucks and if the seed doesn't require stratification even sillier to save the plants. After all they mmature very rapidly and I can easily get 9-10 months growth.
    gary

Sponsored