Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin1012454875

Time for a new C.P. garden could use some help! :)

justin1012454875
14 years ago

Before I start with my post I would like to thank ...

-GardenWeb

-buckcity

-ahuehuete

-taz6122

-garyfla

*For helping me with my issue with my C.P. plants*

Anyway... I'm new with growning C.P. plants as most of you can see in my recent issues! All I ask for this time if someone could tell me the list of C.P. I could have in my location *South Floridad West Palm Beach*. This is my first time having a C.P. garden so I really hope I can make it further then three days :( And if someone could tell me how dormancy works with the plants that I could have. I'm thankful for any help! Thanks have a nice day!!

Comments (10)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Justin here are IMHO two of the best information sites on CP

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7&chapter=1

There's a wealth of info here on GW also but you will find some conflicting info here too just like any other forum.

• justin1012454875
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you that website helps so much I'm going to some careful reading and preparing for my next try thanks!

• ahuehuete
    14 years ago

I recommend www.sarracenia.com/faq too, you can find info about almost anything that has to do with CP´s. I must warn you, though, that the website just gives you clues and general info about dormancy, and leaves it up to you to find the method that works best.
    Tough Nepenthes (mostly hybrids), Pinguiculas (Pinguicula morarensis, Pinguicula moctezumae) and Droseras(Drosera capensis, Drosera adelae) are good plants to start almost everywhere.
    Hope to help:

Ahuehuete

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Since you seem to live in zone 10 florida might make some general comments about temperate plants here.
    Since the most you can hope for here is a cool rest period some years ,you picked a tough family of plants to grow .lol Any plant that MUST have a cold dormant period suffers here for sure . Now you CAN grow temperates here but need entirely different management methods.
    I find that there are just too many tropical species that flourish here to fiddle with extreme dormancies.
    Note that Florida has at least 4 major zones with dozens of micro climes .
    Of the CP"s your best choices are NEPs they grow like weeds lol While Sarracenias grow wild in northern florida they languish here.
    When selecting species choose those that require no dormancy as well as those from low altitudes that can't handle the heat. Look for TROPICAL species .
    Now there are ways to grow anything here but I guarantee
    you it's a lot more work than you want to do!!!
    This hold true for all kinds of plants not only CP's
    Save the temps for when you have more experience with fighting the heat lol goodluck gary

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Justin
    Your direct post to me got deleted so I'll respond here . I'm not a big CP fan as I mostly grow water plants orchids and aroids..palms.. have grown several species in the past and those that done the best were Lowland Nepenthes. The most serious problem that they overgrow lol. The above post gives you some other species to try
    Would suggest if still interested in VFT ,wait until March cultured in the usual pot. This will give you the longest growing period before onset of dormancy. Then you can go the bagging up and placing in the fridge . Or continue to grow until they croak. Replace in March again treating as an annual. Or even better skip the CP"S and grow some warm tolerant orchids lol. MUCH more rewarding IMO
    gary

• buckcity
    14 years ago

Hi Justin,

Why don't you try Bruce Bednar's LaBelle, Florida nursery before you give up.

Lee's Botanical Nursery ( http://www.lbg-cp.com/ ) is pretty far down in South Florida (Hendry County) and he has sold sarracenias and Venus Fly-traps for years.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

"Or even better skip the CP"S and grow some warm tolerant orchids lol. MUCH more rewarding IMO"

Much more costly too. Can you even buy an orchid for less than $10?

"NEPs they grow like weeds lol" is a total exaggeration.

Justin regardless of the failure Gary has had don't let that discourage you. Many others grow temperate CPs in your zone and even further south with success but I do agree that you should start with a more tropical plant such as Nepenthes (some grow fast but nothing like weeds), tropical Drosera or maybe Pinguicula.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Any plant that goes from a 6 inch cutting to around 25 feet growing in 5 locations I tend to stick into "WEED catagory. ?? Like to hear a better definition?? Only other Nep I grow is the large pitchered "noid" has quadrupled in size in under a year. I call that one "vigorous"??
    He can pick up around 50 species of orchids for under 5 bucks at the "BENCH sales. Granted these will be hybids 2/3 years or more from flowering . This also applies to dozens of other tropical species.
    There is a long list of plants that struggle with the heat here. Also a LONGER list of plants that flourish here.
    I'm sure this must include many CP"s But temperates would not be the best experience forr sure.
    gary

• taz6122
    14 years ago

6" to 25' in how many years? 5 locations makes it sound like it's growing in more than one city lol. You mean growth points? Many plants grow hundreds of times their size in less than a year and can still be considered a slow grower. Weeds spread from one to thousands in less than a year with no help from us. $5 bucks for noids with little or no value and 2-3 years of care before flowers? I wouldn't call that rewarding at all. IMHO that would be life, space & $$ consuming. I admit my life is somewhat consumed by plants but I have very little invested for the hundred or so plants I have. I am disabled with limited mobility and can water or transplant or whatever, when I'm able and don't have to follow a schedule. It's something to pass the time instead of just being a complete computer nerd and couch potato. Ok I've spent too much time sitting now and have to get up.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Meant "growing like a weed" as a metaphor not a scientific defininition. obviously lol My mistake..
    I should have said these particular species have proven extremely hardy for me growing without any particular cultural needs in this zone?? Many other types of CP's have proven to require extreme cultural conditions very difficult to provide in zone 10. Certainly not to say it can't be done !!! But for me not worth the effert. In any event if he chooses to grow these plants he will have to revert to alternate cultural practices.
    To me a temperate worth the struggle is strawberry VERY worth the effert for obvious reasons . Not only fantastic fruit but in the dead of winter. How cool is that??
    A VFT is certainly a fantastic plant but can't hold a candle to a fresh strawberry?? Okay MAYBE a vine ripened tomato at Christmas , without worms of course. gary

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting