Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What soil?

Posted by justin1012454875 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 22, 09 at 10:33

I was wondering what kind of soil mix I should use for my S. purpurea ssp. venosa - Purple Pitcher either

> This is the standard soil mix for most carnivorous plants. Use it with Sarracenia, Drosera and flytraps. Contains equal parts of peat moss and perlite.

OR!

> This particular mix contains 1 part bark and 1 part dried sphagnum moss. Can be used with most tropical pitcher plants, such as Nepenthes and Heliamphora.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What soil?

Just another question since I live in Florida and it's getting into the winter months would it be a good time to buy CP plants? Or wait and if I do buy some now whats the best way to get rain watter (Since it wont rain to much in these months) or can I use Zephrhills water? I belive it has no minerals I'll post the ingredents in it later!

o

If the plants you buy are already in pots then anytime is ok to purchase. But if you have to repot then I would wait until spring or order now and have them shipped in April or May.
You should be collecting rainwater all year long if you do not intend to purchase distilled or use a r/o system. You can easily construct a basic water collector using heavy plastic sheeting or a tarp and set up to drain into a rain barrel that has a tap. Below is a link to the type of rain barrel I use but do not set it on rocks instead use concrete blocks with thick concrete pavers. (will provide image if desired)
Do not use any other type of water other than distilled or r/o water. Rain water can be harmful as it all depends on what it is draining off of. Best is that that drains off of plastic sheeting or fiberglass panels or glass panels.

Here is a link that might be useful: I like this rain barrel

o

I use a 50/50 mix of perlite and Peat moss. Rainwater only, if no rain water distilled. We got TONS of rain this year so they got nothing but rain!

o

Soil-from The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato,

"Peat moss is probably the most important soil ingredient for most CPs. It must always be sphagnmu peat moss...it should then be mixed with water until it resembles a soft, wet mud...All sand used in soil recipes for carnivorous plants should be sand that has been well washed...washed "play sand" meant for use in children's sandboxes is also good."

Personally I only use half sand and half peat with great results. I only use rain water if at all possible.

Glad you're sticking with it. Many fellow hobbyists, like myself, learned to grow carnivorous plants the hard way-through trial and error and have suffered failures along the way -but the reward is too great not to try!

o

Here are some of my favorite sarracenia websites; note the first is regarding sarracenia cultivation:

http://www.californiacarnivores.com/californiacarnivoresgrowingtips.aspx
http://www.sarraceniaobsessed.com/index.html
http://www.pitcherplant.org/Catalog2009.pdf

o

You answered your own question lol. The S. stands for Sarracenia.

o

Personally, I think LFS is the best overall soil medium.

o

LSF is indeed a fine medium! I do use it for most of my orchids and been experimenting with it with my d. Adelea leaf cuttings. Neps seem to like it too. I sometimes work some perlite in with it.

o

Long-Fibered Sphagnum Moss, in case someone was wondering.

I like it too but as a live companion more than soil. Even considering buying a red-fibered variety.

Do grow two of my orchids in LFS but most in bark.

Maybe I will experiment with sphagnum early spring when I repot some of my sarracenias-I will think about it.

o

There seems to be two commercially available brands out there. There's something being sold as long fibered sphagnum, by Mosser Lee. It isn't the best quality, with twigs of grasses mixed in. Then there's something called orchid moss. It's a little more expensive, but it's the real deal. Lowes carries it.

o

I buy the Mosser stuff, I'll look for the orchid moss. Thanks!

o

Greenhouse Pics:

I know this doesn't really pertain to anything; just thought I would share.

o

I don't use LFS as a medium because it's too hard to separate the roots of the plants from the LFS if you ever need to and also because roots and bulbs tend to rot in it for many growers. I only use LFS to store dormant rhizomes and to cover drain holes in pots so the medium doesn't wash out.

o

Buckcity: I return the compliment. You're Sarracenias look great!

Taz: Things are back to normal; that is, I disagree with your assessment of LFS.

For me, it's perlite that I find to be a nuisance.

o

If I could find a local source of #2 silica sand I wouldn't use perlite either however the only problem I have with it is the algae growth.

o

How about that floating to the top quality? A pool supply store would have acceptable sand. The play sand at Home Depot and the like, rinsed well, is also good.

o

Buck I hate you, you have a greenhouse!

;)

Great pics!

o

LOL. Yeah but it's already too full and winter is coming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here