Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peacefulvet

New to gardening, New to carnivorous plants

peacefulvet
9 years ago

Hello! I'm brand new to this whole gardening thing. I've never had much luck in the past with growing things that don't remind you that they need sustenance. Recently, I was declared disabled and effectively retired at the ripe old age of 38. So, besides caring for my multitude of children and pets, I find myself in need of filling up some time. So, I kept hearing that gardening is quite the rewarding activity. Now, I've only had one plant that survived in my entire life. I had an African violet that lived for a year, until my then two year old (he's 14 now)decided to see what was inside, effectively killing it. I tried my hand at carnivorous plants last summer, and they all died within the first month of having them. Turns out that tap water is bad. Who knew? So, I'm giving it another shot. This time I have seeds. Since I'm in the Pacific Northwest, I decided to go with cobra lilies, since they grow in the wild here. I also decided to give another one a shot, that being the purple pitchers. They are native to the Minnesota area, so I figured they might fare well here.I bought the book "The Savage Garden." I have seeding pots on the way. I ordered sphangum moss, and long fibered sphangum moss. I also found something called Individual Brick - Coconut Coir Fiber - Coconut Peat. I read that it can be a suitable, less expensive replacement for perilite. I'm hoping this is the case. I'd like to know if this is true. If not, I need to know asap, so I can cancel my order and order the perilite. I would like any advice you can offer, as I am a total newbie at this. I'm really excited to make this work. Thank you so much for your time and wisdom!

Comments (4)