Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby sarracinia ?

Posted by krstofer Zone 7 (ish) (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 12:26

So I have a baby sarracinia-

Seems the "corm" is growing *above* the peat- supported by some dead pitchers & one root.

I don't think they commonly grow like this- So... Should I try & bury the corm a little or leave it alone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby sarracinia ?

hmm.. since there's root supporting the base/corm of the plant, i would personally use pinch of moist peat and cover the base of the plantet a little more. trimming off the dead pitchers/leaves can be helpful, this way no problems or worries about rot or mold.

i wouldn't remove the plantet off the soil or transplant it, just cover it with moist peat around the corm/base then sprinkle it droplets of water around the base after placing the peatmoss around the corm of the plant to adjust it right.

o

The underground stem isn't called a "corm" like the tubers of the Australian tuberous sundew. Its call a "rhizome", which is an underground stem.

During the growing season, the Sarracenias rhizome has this normal tendency of growing above ground but sphagnum moss covers it up as it grows also. Something that doesnt happen normally when grown in a pot. But I can see that your plant is overly exposed, could it be the way it is watered? Do you happen to heavily pour water directly over your plant? That could be why its exposed that much and I concur with xymox suggestion.

Good luck.

o

Naah- it's in a tray & soaks up water from underneath. Eventually I'm going to take some peat from the bottom of the pot thus lowering the whole level, then spread s'more on top so the rhizome is covered.

I also wonder- is it normal size for 6 months old?

o

It looks too big to be only 6 months. Did you buy it as a seedling or it is a seed you sowed? What species is it? That may explain its size too.

o

Well, the tag says it is (was?) a leucophylla..

I (10 minutes ago) decided to take off the old dead pitchers & see if I couldn't pile some peat around it or something.. Seems it only had 1 root, about the thickness of 5 hairs or so.
That root broke.

So I dug a little hole & put it in there.. I figure maybe it'll root, maybe not. Sigh.

Gotta say I had no idea they grow so slowly- I think it's 6 months old, but might be a bit older. Don't really remember when I planted those seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here