Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalkc

sarracenia winter care zone 5

gardengalkc
14 years ago

My son bought a huge pot of sarracenia for me. He lives in northern arkansas. The owners of that nursery said they leave outside and cover with something. I am gathering from reading this forum that that is not enough protection. would appreciate some advice. Thanks. Marie

Comments (13)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

You could put them in a cool basement or attic or garage, as long as they do not freeze they will be fine. Mine go in the bottom of the fridge after cutting off the pitchers. In zip lock type bags of coarse.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Arkansas? They really should be fine to keep outside, all year long. You could cover with pine needles.

The hobbyist called Taz should have more info and will likely participate... any minute now...

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Jim the plant is from AR, not the OP. Sorry Marie but your temps are colder than mine and I use the fridge dormancy as well. If it is S. purpurea it can be left outside. You might want to do a search as there is lots of info on dormancy and different techniques in various posts.

• gardengalkc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like there are quite a few posts regarding sarracenia now. The zone on a small sarracenia I purchased said zone 5. I will keep pursuing the issue. Sure don't to loose them. Might divide and test some. We have a non heated greenhouse that keeps temps about 10 degrees warmer so I might go that way. Thanks for the answers. Marie

PS: My son lives in Garfield and the nursery is Perennials. I really like the nursery.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

I had to look at a zone map. 5B looks like it covers the Mid-atlantic, Midwest, southern plains, and parts of the Rockies. I fit into that category, being in the Buffalo, NY area. If that's the case, then I wouldn't trust the Sarracenias to be left outside for the winter (except the northern variety of S. purpurea), without mulching them. A hobbyist called WildBill, who lives in Connecticut does just that.

Whatever keeps the plants in the 30-50 F range (for round numbers)is what they need. In my case, unheated attics, garages, and (this year)an unheated 2nd floor apartment will do the job. Unheated and attached to what is heated draws some heat but allows the environment to be cold. I also keep plants at windows, wherever possible, to keep them somewhat in synch with the declining and then increasing photoperiod. They can and do break dormancy in that kind of environment. As long as your greenhouse can keep them cold, without being frigid, it should work.

Taz: What or where is the OP? And... how did you know my name? I rarely use it on this discussion forum.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Jim OP means original post or original poster. You use it enough to find when doing some research.

Marie I live in Springdale and Garfeild is not far. I just might have to check out that nursery.

John

• gardengalkc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another thing I just thought of, regarding the greenhouse, it does get hot in there when the sun is out. Wayne dug a pit 4 feet deep and the pit has a bubble wrap cover so the temps in the 'basement' are moderated both warm and cold. It never freezes in there so that is probably my best answer. Marie

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

How hot? Temps naturally fluctuate but photperiod heads in one direction and then the other. In other words, daylength is more important a variable than temperature.

• gardengalkc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It will get 100 on a sunny day in the main part of greenhouse. But in the 'basement' it stays above about 35 and below 70. It is submerged about 4 feet, has a heavy duty heating coil (There is a switch that keeps the heat cable from coming on until it gets to 32 - I am not sure about the temp). The heat coil is buried beneath about 10" of a mix of peat, compost and vermiculite. The mix is what we had to work with at the time. When I put the sarracenia in there I will surround it with the sand/peat mix. Thanks for your help and interest.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Marie temps for should stay well below 70 for sarr dormancy. I'm thinking no higher than 55 but it probably varies per the variety. I'm not quite that in depth on sarrs as of yet.

• gardengalkc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Taz. I really don't remember exactly the temps from last winter. I will watch and see how the temps register. Thanks for the info about keeping temps below the max. I'll post updates. I wonder if there is any guide about how long they should remain dormant.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

The better they rest the more vigorous they should be. I wouldn't go any less than 12 weeks. 16 would be better.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Mine have ~5 months of rest - November - March. About a month later they begin to send up flower scapes. They also do a lot of "clumping".

Sponsored