Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singhin_gw

Nepenthes Velvet

singhin
18 years ago

Hi,

Anybody out there know of this Nepenthes Velvet hybrid? The grower says it's a hybrid of N. spathulata x N. spectabilis. Supposed to be a highland variety.

Any info or pics would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Debbie

Comments (15)

• necro1234
    18 years ago

here are pics i found on google images:
    {{gwi:566107}}and
    {{gwi:566108}}{{gwi:566109}}Never seen one but this is what I got from google.

Cheers

Sheldon

• singhin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Sheldon, you are as always very helpful. I also spoke to Jacob at Cobraplant. He just said it might be a slow grower. I've got 2 4" pots and about 4 3" pots of these guys, so we'll see how they do.

Of course it's a tough time of year to really tell anything between dormancy coming up and a slow down of growth on some. I'm going to try the African Violet pots for a couple of them for now and see how they do.

Anyway, thanks again.

Debbie

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

Neps dont have dormancy, i might be reading youre post wrong but But yea Neps dont have dormancy.

but taht is a cool Nep.
    Hope the AV pot goes well Keep us informed!
    Cheers

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Yes they dont have dormency, they hate frost or cold!!!
    But in winter if the temp and light does drop, they do slow in growth and can stop pitcher production.
    Its kinda like the D. Capensis, it does not have dormency either but will slow drastically in growth if the temp and lighting drops in winter.
    Also I read that this "N. Velvet" may also be known as a "N. Gentle"

Cheers

Sheldon

• singhin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You guys are all so wonderful. Sorry if I sort of ran my post together. I do realize that the Neps don't do dormancy, but slow down and may not pitcher.

I have all of my Neps, Cape Sundews, Mexican Butterworts, Lance Leaf Sundews and Spoonleaf Sundews in a large south facing window right now, the capes and spoonleafs are right on the window sill and the butterworts,neps and lance leafs are set back some. All except the neps in water trays. Any thoughts on that setup? Good or bad comments appreciated. I'm thinking of emailing some time progressive pics to Jacob at Cobraplant to get his opinion.

My spoonleafs don't seem to have any obvious dew on them, but the capes all do. The lance leafs were recent recuses from the big box stores so they may take some time to dew. All of these guys I have mentioned were rescues.

Also have my VFT's and No. Amer. Pitchers outside. Have accumulated alot of plants in just over a month. Scary. And just placed another order with Cobraplant. They're having a buy 2 get 1 free of equal or lesser value on their plant of the month club special, if anyone's interested. Get's a little addictive doesn't it? :)

Thanks again guys,
    Debbie

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Hey Debbie

Well for all of your Sundews you want moist to wet soil constantly, a good mix is 50:50 peat:perlite.
    Both the Capensis and the spoonleaf LOVE lots of light, these babies take full sun and eat it up.
    The Adelae though does not do as well in full sun and can easily have melt downs, you would place him mabey further back, a place where it can get good morning and more shaded light.
    I cant speak for the Mexican butterworts as Ive not grown these (yet, hehe)

The Nepenthese like a more drained soil, a good one is 2 parts perlite and 1 part peat.
    They like constant moist but never waterlogged soil and prefer more shaded light, full sun is not recommended though.

Your setup sounds fine.
    Lack of dew can be a number of things like:
    1) Stress
    Leave them to get through it and just take care of them.
    2) Lack of Light, water or drop in humidity.
    Just give them good lighting, good soil and good water and they should do fine.
    My D. Capensis plants this summer made MASSIVE drops of dew in humidity indoors of 30%, they infact did not have this amount of dew when I tried the "terrarium setup".
    But I do have 2 X 40watt fluoresent bulbs above them and they also get light via the window.

Cheers

Sheldon

• singhin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Sheldon, appreciate your comments. My Capes also have quite a bit of dew, but interestingly enough some of their leaves curl downward, but this also seems to be on all of their existing growth, which of course was not provided for properly in the stores. Jacob says lack of light, although I feel like I am almost obsessed with checking the light/sun levels when I'm home on the weekend just to make sure it's either enough, but not too much (butterworts, lance leafs and neps-which are set back).

I'm keeping an eye of all of the new growth, every one has new leaves coming up. I have noticed, however, that a couple of the capes have their roots coming out of the bottom of the pots. So it looks like some repotting is in order. Maybe a larger pot and fresh soil will help the curling issue. I know I've read that lack of light will cause lack of dew. But I do have dew, not dripping, but it is visible. Time will tell I guess.

I saw your pics, etc. in the E-book, very nice. I know you're in zone 6 there in Utah, so your weather is even more extreme than mine. I'm in the high desert (2400-2500' elevation) of So.Calif. get snow once in awhile. My humidity runs sometimes around 10-15% I guess and that's outside, not sure about inside, probably up a little bit I guess but not much. But I also get a lot of wind here also.

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Hi

Ye the Capensis grow long root structures, if you want them to grow big and be happy you need good space for them to push their roots out.
    Their cousins the little D. Aliciaes have massivly long root systems as well.
    You may find that repotting it in a larger pot may make a big difference indeed.
    If you have a typical Capensis you should be able to tell how much light they are getting also by the tips of their tentacles, they get a vibrant purple/red under good light and you can just see it in their leaves as well.
    Remember also that sundews of all types go through "no dew" phases, so it could be this as well.
    My capensis and aliciae's go through this now and then for a week or two and then spring back to life with tons of goo all over them.
    I have my plants all in 6" pots at the moment, this gives a good amount of space for them to push their roots out into.
    So I think even if it is just a "no dew" phase that a larger pot can only benefit your plant if its roots are showing at the bottom of the pot.

Happy growing!!

Sheldon

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

My Lance Leaf goes thru a no dew phase for about 2-3 months then it got better lighting more moisture then it was a bit more happy, its pushing out 6 runners, or 7 i cant rember. Then with my Cape ccmoing in and my Alaciea(SP?) and anothers whos name exscapes me right now comes and my routdunfolia(wich will go with my Purple pitcher plants outdoors. should be a crowded Terrium, im going to buy a New Terrium just for my neps and any other CP (probably just neps or indvidiualy planted Sundews but those should soon take over my teriium ( i think i might decorate it a bit?) Then my mom will love my lighting and its effect on the Electric bill. Once i get my job all shall be paid for in terrium land! but then again i will probably Clear out a spot in my room for the Cape sundew seeds( when those come or leaf cuttings ) Cant wait for this winter set up!!!! WHen i move out all this should be fun to move...*sigh* Highschool sucks!!!! No one gets my Love for these plants! but they just are jelouse i can grow them! lol AHH rambling, Ill stop talking

Cheers!

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Hey akhead, luckily the fluoresents are not too hungry on electricity.
    Also if you have some windows that get good light you could also have some plants in a windowsill enviroment.

Cheers

Sheldon

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

Their would never be any cooling down, i tried that and it got to hot and nearly killed my CP's And in the Basement theirs not to much Light i can get only one window (way up though) it stays a cool 77 degreese in the basement most of the time and the heat from the lamps get it up to about 81-82 during the day. I just need to get my Neps out of the Tank where their is going to be the new CP's and into their own tank. They should be getting hear today or tomorrow (hopefully today)
    Cheers

• srduggins
    18 years ago

Well, I've heard that N. 'Gentle' may actually be maxima x fusca and it does look like my maxima x fusca in shape, but not color. I do have a spathulata x spectabilis. I've heard 'Velvet' may be either maxima x fusca or spathulata x spectabilis

maxima x fusca
    http://www.hdpixel.com/gallery/data/3243/398big_mxf2-med.jpg
    http://www.hdpixel.com/gallery/data/3243/398maxisca_up.JPG

Sorry I do not know how to post pics inside or multiple links. If you hunt around on this sight, you can see my other pics.

Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:566111}}

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Hey srduggins, its quite easy.
    Just do: Remove the * so that there is no space between the Easy as that :)

Cheers

Sheldon

• srduggins
    18 years ago

maxima x fusca
    {{gwi:566110}}spathulata x spectabilis
    {{gwi:566111}}Thanks! That wasn't too hard.

• singhin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey everybody thanks for the info and pics-that helps alot.

Debbie