Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Winter care of my bog garden

ccoombs1
16 years ago

I planted a bog garden this year for pitchers, VFTs and a couple hardy sundews. I am reading on line that several of the varieties are hardy to zone 8 and I am in zone 7B. I don't want to lose them and bringing them inside is not an option. Can I mulch them with pine straw? Should I wait until they go dormate then cut them back and mulch? It gets cold here....sometimes in the twenties and occasionally in the teens, but not for an extended period. thanks.

Comments (10)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Hello Ccoombs1,

Mulching with pine needles would be just fine. Since your plants are in a simulated bog garden in your yard, they are protected more from cold than they would be in pots. The zone differences can be made up with mulching and plastic tarps in winter to protect the plants from the lowest temperatures. Wait for the plants to go dormant first, that way they will not die from lack of light, then, before any extreme cold gets to them, mulch them.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

so once they get hit by frost and start dying back, I can remove the foliage and cover them? We don't usually get extreme cold temps until mid january, altough we will bet below freezing way before then. Thanks.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Pine needles and the big bales of peat are what some growers in the north use as mulching for Sarracenias and VFT's. You're right about the right latitude and climate for them, so you should be in good shape. Follow Mutants Hybrid's advice. Which sundews do you have? Rotundifolia, filiformis, intermedia?

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Yeah, once the first frosts hit and the plants go dormant, you can clip back any dead foliage and just give them a covering of mulch to protect them just in case. Remember to keep them barely moist, but do cut back on watering in winter.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The sundews are filiformis, just not sure of which variety. They are very cool plants though!! I really don't want to lose them. I'll follow ya'll advise and cut them back after they go dormate and then mulch. This my first year with this bog and I am just thrilled with how well everything grew. Little teeny pitchers I bought or traded for in the early summer are just huge now!! The sundews and VFTs even bloomed for me. The sundews propagated themselves too, which I thought was especially nice of them. lol! If I got this much growth out of young, newly planted plants, I can't wait to see what happens next summer.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

You may also want to take leaf cuttings of the filiformis and start them indoors, just as a backup. Here's what I mean:

{{gwi:555544}}

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Here's a timeline of a D. filformis that was sent to me as a leaf cutting:

{{gwi:557761}}

{{gwi:430414}}

{{gwi:430442}}

You may also want to get baby plants of each type and bring inside for the winter.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

petiolaris...Would you mind sharing your technique? Are those leaf cuttings submerged in water or some other solution? Interesting!!

I am not too worried about most of them....they are varieties that are hardy in the south...but I may dig up a couple of the babies just to insure they survive the winter.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I've done two different approaches. The one with the centrifuge tubes is obvious - sealed vial of water + leaf + indirect light + ignore for a few weeks = several sprouts per leaf.

The time sequence pics was just a leaf that was sent to me from a hobbyist in Colorado. I placed it in a disposable pipette container, that has an inner and outer compartment, as well as a hinged cover. I just placed the inner inside the outer and filled with moist soil media and placed the leaf, dew side up, on top. Then I closed the lid and placed at a window sill.... and waited a few weeks. I got two sprouts but only one ended up becoming a mature plant. The following spring the plant became two and in the summer it flowered. Anything that hold media and be covered will work - saran wrap... soft drink cup with lid...

{{gwi:547178}}

Having backups and alternate approaches can be one of those "ounce of prevention" things!

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great! thanks for the tips. I think it's time for me to get busy getting some plants going for the winter.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor