Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

N. Ventricosa food?

don555
16 years ago

I have a N.ventricosa that is several years old, and with cuttings and offsets I've now got 3 of them. They are indoor plants and I've never really fed them much - maybe every few months I throw in some maggots leftover from fishing bait (gross, I know). Anyhow, the plants are growing well but the leaves have always looked rather pale green or even a bit yellowed, which looks rather like nitrogen deficiency to me. So I'm thinking I should be feeding them more. I've started catching moths that come to our lights at night, freezing them (so they don't fly away), and using those as food. But it's late fall here and soon there won't be any insects around. That's a really long-winded way of saying what should I feed these plants over the winter?

I could pick up some crickets at a pet store and use those, but the other day I saw that a local pet store carries frozen bloodworms. They come in a package of cubes, each cube about 1 cm on a side. The worms themselves look to be very tiny - about as thick as a paperclip and not very long. I think bloodworms live in lake sediments and provide a major food source for things like whitefish during the winter. So they aren't the sort of thing Nepenthes would normally feed on, but they would certainly be convenient to use. Anyone tried these or have thoughts on whether they would be good food or are something that should be avoided? Thanks.

-Don

Comments (12)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

They really do not need to be fed. You can feed it occassionally if you want but it's not needed.

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

I agree with tommyr,
    bugs are not neccesary for it's lifecycle but it helps the plant grow.
    Since nepenthes are tropical they don't need a dormancy.
    Your nepenthes could go it's whole life without catching a single bug.
    The only benefits to catching bugs is a little growth spurt.
    In winter just don't feed your plant, it doesnt need bugs.
    - Adrian

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Yellowing leaves can be caused by too much sun, too much or too little water, or by too little nitrogen.

As far as feeding goes, most carnivorous plants can go a long time, some basically forever, without catching anything as Tommyr and Carnivorousplants indicated. Insects do enhance their growth and health, especially with Nepenthes since they tend to be specifically geared towards catching and digesting insects quickly. They have been noted as being capable of digesting insects in less than half the time of other carnivorous plants. Insects are active all the time in the tropics so Nepenthes will catch them all times of the year. You can go without feeding the plant in the winter, but it will not hurt to do so if you want to. I do as I simply do not like to manually fertilize the plant with orchid fertilizers all the time (which is what a lot of people use in leu of insects in winter). You can use any type of insect, spider, or worm; maggots, flies, bloodworms, crickets, fruit flies, moths and so forth are all just fertilizer for the plants. Just make sure the prey is small enough to be submerged in the digestive fluid. If you do manually feed the plant, do so every couple of weeks by adding one small prey item to one healthy pitcher. You will occasionally see a spider, roach, cricket, ant, or stray fly caught in the plant even in winter as those critters often try to overwinter indoors or hatch out inside where you do not notice them.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Mine doesn't get fed in winter. They go outside in the spring. They catch enough during the growing season anyway outdoors.

• daveyjones
    16 years ago

This is just a shot in the dark, but what about those freeze dried bloodworms used to feed fish. If there aren't additional additives, it might be a cheap and easy way to feed your plants.

• poolboy101
    16 years ago

I use frozen bloodworms. I like them because they have soft bodies so my neps get way more out of a small amount of bloodworms than they would with crickets. I do notice when I feed them they do get a growth spurt. If you are going to feed your neps, I would bloodworms. Only feed them once or twice a month.

• don555
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone, lots of good information there. I don't use any kind of foliar spray so it sounds like the occasional meal would be a good idea. Since the bloodworms seem to work well for others, I think I'll pick some up and give them a try.
    -Don

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

A yellow leaf could also be a very old leaf, whose time is up. And occasional cricket would be fine.

• antechron
    16 years ago

Do Nepenthes suffer negative effects from getting more than one or two bugs per month? I would think that, being tropical as they are, they would naturally get scads of bugs.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Antechron,

No it will not harm the plant to get more than one insect per two weeks. As you surmised, a Nepenthes outdoors in the tropics would catch dozens of insects each week. The thing is, too many insects captured can rot and stink and potentially shorten the life of the pitcher, but will not harm the plant overall. Best bet is just feed the plant every once in a while and let it catch what it will othewise.

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

no need to feed.they should naturally attract insects, in fact, its bad to OVER FEED. that makes the plant pitchers wither up. believe me. i know.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Some people also apply a few pellets (variable types) of Osmocote.

Sponsored