Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Venus Fly Trap+ Sundew

Posted by lfhlaw Z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 28, 08 at 19:29

Well I have a similar question as the other the other guy, but not sure if I should just put it outside to force dormancy? or leave it in my house for the VFT.

The Sundew I heard doesn't need Dormancy.

The VFT has been growing well inside on window sill. In fact it's growing another leaf right now. I think it gets probably daylight most of the day unless it's cloudy. It did eat a ladybug type bug..one of those japanese laydbug but not a ladybug thingy's.

I have been watering with distilled water and have yet to transplant either of the plants. Just following what i've learned on this forum and other sites.

IMG_1342.jpg IMG_1343.jpgIMG_1344.jpg

1. Should I throw it outside or stimulate dormancy or stick in refrigerator? or just keep it on sill until next year?
2. anyone know a good website to buy supplies from? (Moss+planters)
3. Will both plants get bigger next year if I put them both into dormancy now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Venus Fly Trap+ Sundew

The sundew picture is blurry but it seems to be a D. adelae. This does fine at a window sill, with a drained pot, sitting in a plastic container of distilled water.

The VFT presents a small dilemma. It really is an outdoor plant and it should be heading into dormancy right now. Your winter will be too cold to keep outside but if you have an attic or garage with a southern window sill, I would try that. It also should be in a drained pot. You really can't stick a 70 F plant into a 40 F fridge. It should be done gradually.

I buy all my supplies from Home Depot & Lowes.

o

I agree with Petiolaris. Give the VFT a light dormancy this year on a window sill, next spring put it outside in full sun all day. In the fall when temps get down to 40 regularly put in the fridge and leave it until spring.

The Sundew can go in a bright (warmer) window (not window sill!) and needs no dormancy. Use distilled or rainwater ONLY for both plants.

d. Adelae will grow and sprout babies LIKE CRAZY.

You'll have a ton of them in no time!

o

So I'm trying to induce dormancy on my VFT, how do i know when it's kicked in lol?

Also, When it is in dormancy does it still need sunlight? cuz my garage has no windows.

o

VFT's come from North Carolina. Winter in in N.C. means temps that range from a little below freezing to the 50's, for the most part. They're also getting ~9-10 hours of daylength for the winter. It isn't a matter of having light or not. It's a matter of how much daylight they are getting. You're in PA, so if you have an attic with a window, you can put the VFT by a window and let nature dictate when the plant wakes up.

o

a nice website sells pots and sphagnum moss- it's called Blackjungle

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackjungle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here