Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marklius

What would happen if I plant VFT seeds this time of year?

marklius
14 years ago

I know someone who has some vft seeds pretty inexpensively.

But I know its late in the season. If I plant them now...do they have a good or decent chance of growing and making it until next grow season?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Comments (4)

• njnewbie
    14 years ago

Mark,
    Several factors. Have the seeds been stratified, where do you live, what is the growing conditions(inside vs outside and planting medium.)? Growing from seeds is very time consuming. It will take 2-3 years to reach any appreciable size. I grow from seed when I want unusual or uncommon varities of vft. If you can answer the above questions I can give you a more difinitive answer. Bob

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    I grow VFT in winter due to the s. florida climate . Not only no chill period they hate the humid summers lol
    They grow well for me during winter but is a real hassle to keep in the fridge so I just grew them as long as they survived .Starting in Oct ( stratified seeds of course) and they usually give up the ghost by late May.
    Would assume in your zone you're growing them as a houseplant?? Last several years I've not planted any but it can be done might even be better in your zone??? gary

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Dionaea seeds do not need stratification. Fresh viable seeds will germinate without any cold treatment. They need to be sown asap or can be stored in the frige for up to a year. Viability doesn't last long with these seeds.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Sow fresh... and I started them on the grow rack and then put them outside in late spring, the following year.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH