Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would happen if I plant VFT seeds this time of year?

Posted by marklius 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 19:30

I know someone who has some vft seeds pretty inexpensively.
But I know its late in the season. If I plant them now...do they have a good or decent chance of growing and making it until next grow season?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would happen if I plant VFT seeds this time of year?

Mark,
Several factors. Have the seeds been stratified, where do you live, what is the growing conditions(inside vs outside and planting medium.)? Growing from seeds is very time consuming. It will take 2-3 years to reach any appreciable size. I grow from seed when I want unusual or uncommon varities of vft. If you can answer the above questions I can give you a more difinitive answer. Bob

o

Hi
I grow VFT in winter due to the s. florida climate . Not only no chill period they hate the humid summers lol
They grow well for me during winter but is a real hassle to keep in the fridge so I just grew them as long as they survived .Starting in Oct ( stratified seeds of course) and they usually give up the ghost by late May.
Would assume in your zone you're growing them as a houseplant?? Last several years I've not planted any but it can be done might even be better in your zone??? gary

o

Dionaea seeds do not need stratification. Fresh viable seeds will germinate without any cold treatment. They need to be sown asap or can be stored in the frige for up to a year. Viability doesn't last long with these seeds.

o

Sow fresh... and I started them on the grow rack and then put them outside in late spring, the following year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here