Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

VFT outdoor dormancy requirements

m_taggart
16 years ago

I've recently, 4 weeks ago, bought two VFTs from Walmart. They looked to be in pretty good condition. I think they were shipped and stocked recently. I've acclimated them to full sun with southern exposure and they're growing like crazy. They are still in the small pots in which they came, and I plan to replant them in the spring just before they start active growth. I've become attached and really want them to make it through the winter as well as possible.

Here's my question. How do you prepare your VFTs for dormancy? I've heard that they should be kept slightly moist and protected from cold, drying wind. I plan to put the little pots in a five gallon bucket to protect from the wind and pack pine straw all around the pots to reduce quick temperature changes. The bucket will be placed against a concrete wall, again with southern exposure. I'll then pull the pots out in February and replant in equal parts of leached perlite and peat moss.

Does anyone see any holes in my plan? I know that VFTs are native to NC and should be able to winter over with no problem, but I want to give them every advantage. Am I babying them too much. Any pics of overwintering condition would be very helpful.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer