Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coldlime

Propergatoin of VFT

coldlime
17 years ago

Ive read some postings that say sloooow growing from seed.

But can you take a cutting from a plant and start it with a rooting hormone and get it to grow? if so, when would be the best time for this. I have one plant with about 5 traps on it, Still quite small. Should I leave it alone, or give it a try?

Thanks

Dennis

Comments (4)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I've never used the rooting hormone, but have had some success with taking leaf cuttings and getting them to sprout. What ya do is pull a leaf, making sure to get as much of the basal (white) as you can. Now some people will put them in a baggie with soil and put it under artificial lighting. I had mine sprout in a cat litter tray with swampy, LFS (long fibered sphagnum), uncovered, by a window sill. That worked for about half of them. The leaf cuttings produced multiple plants, in a cluster.

• xymox
    17 years ago

what i did was also pulling very healthy leaves of one of my VFTs. I pulled very healthy leaves from the mother plant. all the way down from the basal area. as petiolaris mentioned, you must pull the leaves gently, allowing the white base of the leave intact and not damaged.

Ok, what i did was different.
    after i pulled a few healthy leaves(about 4 leaves) I had a small 3" inch pot filled with moist peat moss.

After you select your leaf pullings, lay the leaves facing down, this is a bit tricky to explain, place the cuttings the same way as if it were growing in the mother plant. make sure the white base of the leaf face downwards, this way, when plantets emerge they will be settling on their own into the soil.

after laying the leaf cuttings on the moist peat moss, pick a small pinch of peat moss and shrivel it on top of the leaf's white base, cover it slightly, afterwards.. spray some purified water upon the base of the leaf pullings, this water will adjust the leaves into the moist peat moss.

afterwards, wahtever you do to keep high humidity depends up to you. I used a clear, recyclable plastic cup as a Dome to keep the leave pullings high in humidity. i cover the small 3" inch pot with the clear dome, then i grow these leave pullings under artificial lighting for atleast 13 hours a day.

within a week or two, you should see small plantets forming from the white base of the leaves. not all leaves will sprout plantets, but there's a 90% chance for the cuttings to form plantets. i am currently growing only one baby flytrap that i grew from a leaf cutting, it has been re-planted individually into its own small container. i will take pics of it whenever i get digital camera!! good luck with your flytrap propagation.

PS: seeds is very a slow procedure but yet indeed rewarding if patience is present! so far, my vft seedlings from seed turned 1 year old last july. :)

• FlytrpL8E
    17 years ago

Yes to what Jim says.
    I have tried the rooting hormone and have placed them in a rubbermaid shoebox on moist LFSM. Put the lid on and viola after 3 months plantlets.They do like a high humidity place to grow. I think the best time to do it is in May when the weather is consistently warmer. Then you don't have to use grow lights to keep the photoperiod around 12 hours or anything to keep the temp of the media around 70 degree. Most plants germinate at around 70 degrees
    My 2 cents
    Lois

• coldlime
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I dont have any grow lights. So I will wait till spring to give it a try. I thank you all for the info.
    Dennis