Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llamadog903

nepenthes hamata

llamadog903
18 years ago

Does anyone know how to grow a nepenthes hamata I really want one but I don't know how to grow them.

Comments (12)

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Hi

Ive never grown one but Ive read they like higher humidity, they dont do well with drops in humidity and/or temprature.
    They dont seem as easy to grow as something like a Ventricosa or Sanguinea from what Ive read about them.
    Would think you would need a warm day and cooler night with a high humidity level that you could maintain.
    A terrarium for this could be a good idea.

Cheers

Sheldon

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

Hamata's are allways wanted by alot of people (the teeth does it) but like sheldon said they seem more prone to humidity and temperature drops. than any other A terrium would probably work best. (no experience also but read alot about them) I know i have wanted one, once i get A Bigger Set up i probably will try that out, but i know of one guy who posts on hear has one that just grows on a hanger in one of his Rooms getting plenty of light. Depends on settings.

Cheers

• lleopardggecko
    18 years ago

I've always wanted to grow N. hamata myself but have never found them for sale anywhere :(

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

you would almost need to purchas seed to grow N. hamata! i think ive seen it one place but i didnt see it their again. If i rember the site i will post it for you guys

Cheers

• bux123
    18 years ago

Hi,

I grow Nepenthes Hamata on windowsill with great success.
    If you need more informations i can help you.

bux123

• llamadog903
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Please give me any info you can get.

• bux123
    18 years ago

Hi,

Put lava rock at the bottom of a pot and add 2/3 to 3/4 medium perlite mixed with 1/3-1/4 peat moss. Use only osmose water or rain water!The soil have to be moist but not wet! Use a saucer and keep your plant on windowsill not in full sun for the first weeks. It works well for many highland Nepenthes.

Happy growing,

bux123

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

Glad you have had a good experience with Hamata, What is the Average Temperature for youre Nep. Hamata? I would love to ahve one, and what var. do you have?

Cheers

• bux123
    18 years ago

Hi,

The room temperature is between 17°C and 25°C.
    There is no great difference between day and night but i think the light "heat" the plants on day and they seems to like that.
    For sure the growth should be faster in a terrarium but with less security.
    I have the clone 1 and 4 from Wistuba in Germany.
    Hope that's help you.

bux123

• elgecko
    18 years ago

I'm going on 2 years growing a Nepenthes hamata as a windowsill plant.
    Nepenthes seem to be tougher plants then most people give them credit for.

{{gwi:560868}}

{{gwi:556703}}

• akheadbanger
    18 years ago

What Var. do you have? Ive seen all green ones, speckled ones like you have, and so on and so forth. I really want one!! (if i find n e that will be my definit next purchase.!

Cheers

• aufidus
    9 years ago

There are only 2 different types of hamata, one is a red color variation and is hairy all over, the other is the speckled variation. The "green" pitchers you have seen are just the upper pitchers of the speckled variation. Most nepenthes have varying pitchers whether they be the uppers or lowers. Green pitchers with sick looking teeth are just the regular ol' hamata. Many companies have them available now if you are still looking for one.

Sponsored