Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
VFT bulbs

Posted by open_window_maniac (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 07 at 20:34

I'm thinking about buying VFT bulbs in december, putting them in the fridge, and planting them in a pot in early march so that by mid-april i'll have several VFT plants. Would this work or miserably fail?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: VFT bulbs

I am doing the same thing right now and am hoping it will work
It has worked for many others so it might work for us.
- Adrian

o

I guess it might work, but why not just wait to buy them until you are ready to grow them in the spring?

Some bulbs, like crocus or tulips, need time in cool ground to develop roots for the next season. VFT (which aren't true bulbs) need a rest period, but not in the same way as something like crocus where you have to buy them in the fall and get them in the ground before winter. I don't see any advantage to buying VFT now if you aren't planning on growing them until March. Deep hibernation in a fridge is usually used as a last resort for VFT that are being grown in a year-round warm climate, so that a fridge is the only way to give them a rest.
-Don

o

I agree with Don555 on this one. Venus Flytrap "bulbs" are actually just the plant that has had its leaves hacked off before it was shipped to you. The bulb is actually just a short rhizome that will keep its leaves all winter if it does not get to far below freezing for long.

If you buy one adult plant that is dormant, get it growing well next spring, and let it flower in April, it will produce several divisions from its rhizome as mine is doing now. I started with one plant in January, brought it out of dormancy in February, it flowered a month later, then produced 8 or more plantlets from its rhizome of which several are almost half-grown now.

In any event, plant the leafless rhizomes in a pot of sphagnum moss or wrap them in long fibre (or fiber) sphagnum, and keep them moist and cold all winter. When its time to warm them up, make sure their crowns are just barely sticking out of the moss and leave them in good sunlight all day... It should work out fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here