Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironious

indoor dormancy?

ironious
16 years ago

Hi, I have grown my VFT and other plants indoors under artificial light all year long and they have done quite well.They are getting 12 hours of the equivalent to 400 watts of light every day. I've noticed a slow down in their growing as the year progresses but I do understand that they need to go somewhat dormant. Any advice on how I can do this?

Comments (6)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Refridgerator. That's where mine is right now. But mine are kept outdoors spring through mid fall in full Sun. They don't do to well indoors.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

You can try the refrigerator route as Tommyr provided, however; you will need to cut back on the length of light during the day. Each week of November give them one hour less of light until they are down to 8 hours a day. They will slow in growth more as they prepare for cold weather. After they are down to 8 hours a day of light, you can place them in a ziplock bag with a slight opening in the zipper to ensure air can get in. Place the bag in the refrigerator, the crisper or butter shelf are good out of the way spots. Check them every few days to ensure their moss is always a little moist, but other than that they will be fine their all winter. In a couple months, take them out in February and place them in their regular growing places and start them off at 8 hours light a day, ramping that up by one hour per week until they are back to 12 or more hours a day. The main reason why Flytraps are hard to grow indoors is related to light and fungus (due to stagnant air flow and standing water in the soil). You have the light intensity to grow most anything with 400 watts, so that should not be a concern, but just keep your eyes open for fungus infection.

You can do the same sequence with an ice chest with ice water bottles around the pots over winter too. Just decrease the photoperiod and then place the plants in the ice chest. It takes more work as you have to replace the ice bottles every 12 hours to once a day, but you can open it by day and air it out and give the plants a few hours of light to keep fungus off them. The ice chest also promotes condensation which keeps the plants moist, almost no need to water them over winter that way.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Where are you living? That can open up or limit what you can do. I live near Buffalo, NY, and have dormancy plants in a cold attic or garage, right by a window sill. I have also had Sarrs in a fridge, as is, as well as VFT's in the butter keeper, as is. There are a variety of approaches, depending up where you live and what is available to you.

• ironious
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually I live in California in zone 8. Maybe I can just stick them out side?

• don555
    16 years ago

I think the native range for VFT is zone 8, so you should be able to put them outside. I'd sink the pots to be level with the ground surface (exposed pots are much more likely to freeze or dry out) and make sure the pots stay moist. Once the plants are dormant, a bit of lightweight mulch should ensure they weather any freezing weather.
    -Don

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Yeah, Don555 has it right on the nose. Zone 8 North Carolina is the Venus Flytrap home range. Just don't let the pots dry out or freeze solid and your fine.